Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Replaced Cluster with UPGRADED version, perm fix for bad pixels

My Cars
    '01 740i sport, VW TDI

Just Replaced Cluster with UPGRADED version, perm fix for bad pixels

I've been missing pixels in my cluster like most of us for years and finally tried to fix it, first myself. Ordered a replacement LCD and ribbon cable, followed all the directions, drilling, etc.. As soon as I started, I was sorry I attempted it but was committed at that point. Once done, I still had pixels out, just different ones. Took apart again, reset cable, repeat. then another 2 or 3 repeats. Finally it was marginally better than when I started, but decided it would have to do. Problem exacerbated by the fact the light box that keeps pressure on the crappy ribbon cable/contacts was cracked and a couple screw holes stripped. Horrible design. After a couple weeks it degraded to two and one half rows that would light up and that was it.

In looking for a solution I discovered a member here that sells clusters with an upgraded circuit board that uses a pug-in cable for the display instead of the pressure/heat glue type that inevitably fails. I purchased an upgraded cluster from Paul (BlackKnight530i on this forum) to permanently fix the pixel issues on my E38.

I sent him the ZCS for my car and he had my new one coded and shipped in just 2 days! Installed and works perfectly. I Highly recommend going this route and Paul was a pleasure to work with.

https://www.facebook.com/Fixels/

It's nice to see how man miles are on my car again! I haven't seen full rows of pixels since 2005!
    Last edited by red740is; 05-13-2019 at 08:26 PM.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    BlackKnight is great! Went that route myself and couldn’t be happier.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    Check the Signature
    I second BlackKnight, he did mine back in 2016, no issues since. Couldn't be happier.
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
    '92 Olds Toronado Trofeo (Project)

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)
    '20 M2:Competition 6spd (Sold)

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Totally agree with everyone. I upgraded mine recently too:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...php?p=30260890

Sent from my cheap Droid turbo using Tapatalk
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Thanks everyone! You guys are why I love doing these repairs for people.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by red740is View Post
    In looking for a solution I discovered a member here that sells clusters with an upgraded circuit board that uses a pug-in cable for the display instead of the pressure/heat glue type that inevitably fails.
    Can you clarify if the new cluster is a newer BMW cluster (i.e., newer part#) with an upgraded circuit board, or an equivalent cluster that has been updated by replacing a circuit board? I have dead pixel issues in my cluster; there is a company (Bavtek) up in Riverside, CA that can repair clusters; that is the only company close to me that repairs cluster that I am aware of. My preference for repair is to show up with the unit in hand as opposed to letting the cluster get seriously bumped around in the mail...

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    Can you clarify if the new cluster is a newer BMW cluster (i.e., newer part#) with an upgraded circuit board, or an equivalent cluster that has been updated by replacing a circuit board? I have dead pixel issues in my cluster; there is a company (Bavtek) up in Riverside, CA that can repair clusters; that is the only company close to me that repairs cluster that I am aware of. My preference for repair is to show up with the unit in hand as opposed to letting the cluster get seriously bumped around in the mail...
    Paul can answer better but (depending on your order) an equivalent cluster with an upgraded board comes in package whole. As for shipping, it came in a well packaged box. Normal shipping not an issue. If used to support a truck then there MIGHT be issues. You are more likely to drop it than shipping damage.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Paul, can you fix our clusters also instead of the upgrade and how much is that?

I had only lost 2 columns of pixels around the temp reading until my car sat outside for 4 months in the FL sun waiting to get these transmission issues worked out. Now I've lost more.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Paul, can you fix our clusters also instead of the upgrade and how much is that?

I had only lost 2 columns of pixels around the temp reading until my car sat outside for 4 months in the FL sun waiting to get these transmission issues worked out. Now I've lost more.
    Can? Yes. Do I? No. It really isn't worth doing the basic ribbon cable fix as it will fail again in a short amount of time. It's just a horrible design. BMW decided the same thing as they used to just refurbish the old ones, until they redesigned it. It is way more of a pain to do the ribbon only repair and I can't charge enough to be worth it to me.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    I replace the circuit board in your cluster to the newer ones from BMW.

-Paul

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Can? Yes. Do I? No. It really isn't worth doing the basic ribbon cable fix as it will fail again in a short amount of time. It's just a horrible design. BMW decided the same thing as they used to just refurbish the old ones, until they redesigned it. It is way more of a pain to do the ribbon only repair and I can't charge enough to be worth it to me.

Got it and understand.

I had the cluster in the 540i fixed years ago through a forum member that guaranteed it. Wondering your thoughts on if he likely replaced the board?

What do the other online pixel fix companies do? Just the ribbon and hope it doesn't go bad?
    Last edited by racer2086; 05-15-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Got it and understand.

I had the cluster in the 540i fixed years ago through a forum member that guaranteed it. Wondering your thoughts on if he likely replaced the board?

What do the other online pixel fix companies do? Just the ribbon and hope it doesn't go bad?
    My understanding is that I'm the only one doing full circuit board replacements. Everyone else does either ribbon only or LCD and ribbon replacements. Both of the ribbon repair options will eventually fail again and the LCD replacement, while easier to do than ribbon only, will have a glossy finish vs the original matte finish. They also tend to have bright spots due to not properly diffusing the light.

I do have a lifetime warranty on my repairs, but you won't even need it. I've never had one fail due to bad pixels. BMW started using the new circuit boards in late 2003 and every one I've seen since then is still perfect. Bulbs behind the display can burn out, but they are cheap and easy to swap out by the customer.

Also, if that forum member was ConcreteDonkey, notice that he isn't around anymore. I never had dealings with him, so I can't say anything about him.

-Paul

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Yes it was ConcreteDonkey, and I noticed about a few months after I had it done, he was gone. I think I was one of the last people to get my cluster done. Then there were others who had a hard time getting their stuff back. Gone now, though...So much for lifetime guarantee. Fortunately, it's been 4 or 5 years and everything is still perfect *knock on wood*.

I'm going to PM you about my cluster.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Yes it was ConcreteDonkey, and I noticed about a few months after I had it done, he was gone. I think I was one of the last people to get my cluster done. Then there were others who had a hard time getting their stuff back. Gone now, though...So much for lifetime guarantee. Fortunately, it's been 4 or 5 years and everything is still perfect *knock on wood*.

I'm going to PM you about my cluster.
    I was in on that in the end too. Guy vanished. I am not even going to say whether or not my pixels are still functional....
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2016 340i XDrive M-Sport
    My understanding is that I'm the only one doing full circuit board replacements. Everyone else does either ribbon only or LCD and ribbon replacements. Both of the ribbon repair options will eventually fail again and the LCD replacement, while easier to do than ribbon only, will have a glossy finish vs the original matte finish. They also tend to have bright spots due to not properly diffusing the light.

I do have a lifetime warranty on my repairs, but you won't even need it. I've never had one fail due to bad pixels. BMW started using the new circuit boards in late 2003 and every one I've seen since then is still perfect. Bulbs behind the display can burn out, but they are cheap and easy to swap out by the customer.

Also, if that forum member was ConcreteDonkey, notice that he isn't around anymore. I never had dealings with him, so I can't say anything about him.

I can attest that everything works perfectly after having my cluster repaired by Paul last month. As a matter of fact, I got it back with a blown bulb and for a minute I was thinking something was a little iffy. Two seconds to replace the bulb and everything was back to normal. Thank you again!

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL

Thanks for the explanation; this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coslin View Post
    I can attest that everything works perfectly after having my cluster repaired by Paul last month. As a matter of fact, I got it back with a blown bulb and for a minute I was thinking something was a little iffy. Two seconds to replace the bulb and everything was back to normal. Thank you again!
    Excellent! Good to hear it worked. Looks like you are in MA and Paul is in NC ? ...sounds like there were no problems with the cluster getting bumped during shipping -- also excellent. I will keep this in mind as I decided which repair project to tackle next.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I was in on that in the end too. Guy vanished. I am not even going to say whether or not my pixels are still functional....
    Wow...perhaps we should get T-shirts that say "I survived ConcreteDonkey!"

I got the cluster in my e38 repaired by CD right before the train left the tracks. I sent my cluster in, and got it back in a few days...no problem what so ever with communication with CD or the work he did. Then right after that, the questions & legitimate complaints started...OMG what a fiasco that became. I felt bad in that I recommended his services based on my transaction with him...truly a sad, sad situation.

I don't have the e38 anymore (sold it last year)...but all the pixels were still illuminating correctly when I sold it. That's why I feel like I'M A SURVIVOR!
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-17-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Paul is a stand up guy and knows his way around these clusters! He has tons of experience with them and you will be happy with the results...

My Cars
    2001 740i
    sux but thats not even the first time ppl on here got taken by someone. i remember the bumper situation as a lurker. very similar. lots of ppl on here got screwed good.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Wow...perhaps we should get T-shirts that say "I survived ConcreteDonkey!"

I got the cluster in my e38 repaired by CD right before the train left the tracks. I sent my cluster in, and got it back in a few days...no problem what so ever with communication with CD or the work he did. Then right after that, the questions & legitimate complaints started...OMG what a fiasco that became. I felt bad in that I recommended his services based on my transaction with him...truly a sad, sad situation.

I don't have the e38 anymore (sold it last year)...but all the pixels were still illuminating correctly when I sold it. That's why I feel like I'M A SURVIVOR!
    Wait what?!!?? Q you sold your E38? deggone! I know I had been out of pocket for a while, but missed this one. Why? And Did you get a replacement?

"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Paul is a stand up guy and knows his way around these clusters! He has tons of experience with them and you will be happy with the results...
    +1. Totally agree about Paul. We had been in discussion about this for a looking time before I made my purchase and got him to code mine. He's detail oriented and knowledgeable. Perfect for this group

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    Wait what?!!?? Q you sold your E38? deggone! I know I had been out of pocket for a while, but missed this one. Why? And Did you get a replacement?

Yep, I traded her in last August/2018 for an 2013 F06 650ix:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Yep, I traded her in last August/2018 for an 2013 F06 650ix:
    Sweet looking ride! Traded in the E38?? What did they give you for it? Thoughts on the 6? Or did you already post all this? Lol.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    Sweet looking ride! Traded in the E38?? What did they give you for it? Thoughts on the 6? Or did you already post all this? Lol.

Thanks. They gave me $1500 for my 97 e38. I love the 6...but it isn't a 7 series. The 6 is a sweet ride, has a great interior, lots of toys (modern technology) is fast as all get out (445 HP) but gets better MPG than the M62 (in my 740iL), M62TU (in my 540iT), and N62 (in my X5 4.4). But it is lower to the ground, and what compares to the backseat room in the LWB 7 series.

Something I wrote back in Sept/2018:

... Although the f06 is really nice, well equipped & appointed...and even handles more similar to old gen BMWs vs the light weight feel of many new gen BMWs...there's nothing to compensate for the dynamic handling properties of the longer wheelbase or the spaciousness of the LWB 7 series.

The f06 is like a gussied up 5 series in regards to interior room.

(but having cupholders that actually work is a whole new revelation...so screw the back seat passengers)

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Thanks. They gave me $1500 for my 97 e38. I love the 6...but it isn't a 7 series. The 6 is a sweet ride, has a great interior, lots of toys (modern technology) is fast as all get out (445 HP) but gets better MPG than the M62 (in my 740iL), M62TU (in my 540iT), and N62 (in my X5 4.4). But it is lower to the ground, and what compares to the backseat room in the LWB 7 series.

Something I wrote back in Sept/2018:

... Although the f06 is really nice, well equipped & appointed...and even handles more similar to old gen BMWs vs the light weight feel of many new gen BMWs...there's nothing to compensate for the dynamic handling properties of the longer wheelbase or the spaciousness of the LWB 7 series.

The f06 is like a gussied up 5 series in regards to interior room.

(but having cupholders that actually work is a whole new revelation...so screw the back seat passengers)

Bravo! And thanks for sharing (re-sharing)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast