Thread: Cable stretch or shoe wear?

My Cars
    330i, 323i

Cable stretch or shoe wear?

2nd gear stuff, ≈5 hand brake pulls per lap, ≈20 laps. Non-M E46 stock with stock power.
    At the end of the day the handle required lots more travel to lock the rears.
    Whats giving up in the system? Shoe wear or cable stretch? Or something else? If I replace with new stuff will my problems be solved?
    On youtube I've seen IEnjoyDrifting say "you don't need a hydro" in a few different videos. I believe everything Chelsea says. I don't want a hydro in this car.
    Point me in the right direction?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9Cc-Cmjt0
    none

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    From what I remember they can be adjusted in the drum or tighten the cable.
    There's even a video with Chelsea showing it
    https://youtu.be/XI29zrUBx4Q?t=420

eventually you'll have to replace the pads though and I've seen some guys snap their cables from going too tight
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    LS E46
    Are you talking about using your stock handbrake? You need to adjust at the drum, NOT the cables at the lever. The adjustment at the lever is only there to adjust for cable stretch, not pad wear.

Adjusting at the drum can actually be done through one of the lug bolt holes but it’s kind of a pain in the a** so it’s just easier to pull the rotor off.

My Cars
    330i, 323i
    Liquidity: Yes. Stock parts: stock parking brake handle, stock cables, and stock shoes.
    I'm hip to adjusting the shoes. My process has been to adjust the shoes first. Get it "locked" through the lug bolt hole then back it off 2 to 5 notches. After that, adjust the cables.

I'm probably answering my question but:
    Q: After a day of stuff, my parking brake travel is much more than at the beginning of the day. Is that handle travel a result of shoe material wear or cable stretch? Based on that answer, will throwing new stock parts at it solve my problem? Or, will a day of stuff always result in the same amount of wear/stretch?

My Cars
    LS E46
    It just sounds like you need to adjust at the drum again, then take out the slack at the lever.

My Cars
    330i, 323i
    update: The shoes required a lot of adjustment. The cables almost no adjustment.
    current conclusion: majority of additional parking brake travel comes from shoe wear.
    none

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I've found that some parking brake shoes last better than others. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which are which right now. I've been messing with too many cars at once. If I figure it out I will post up.