Thread: White spots on leather

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3

White spots on leather

When I use leather cleaner on the leather piece of my door card, it always makes these little white spots. When I wipe it off with a damp rag, the spots go away, but the finish of my leather cleaner and conditioner goes away with them. All of the other leather in my car looks great and never spots, but it's only the leather on my door cards that does. Has anyone else here had this issue? Anybody know a way to remedy this?

IMG_6238.jpg

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Weird, have you tried a different product?
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    Weird, have you tried a different product?
    I've tried Meguiars leather cleaner, Chemical Guys sprayable leather, and Leather Honey's cleaner. I buff off the remaining residue, but after a day or so of sitting, the dots appear

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by xeleris View Post
    I've tried Meguiars leather cleaner, Chemical Guys sprayable leather, and Leather Honey's cleaner. I buff off the remaining residue, but after a day or so of sitting, the dots appear
    Well I don’t know if trying another one will make any difference since you’ve had the same results with all of those so far but I’ve never had any issues with this http://303 Leather Cleaner and Condi..._fyz2CbRT7GKME
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    You may have inadvertently bleached it with one of the other cleaners. If so any conditioner impact will only be temporary. It’s a lot more work, but I’ve had good luck removing the door cards, masking the area around the inserts, and re-dyeing them with an air brush. I’ve also been able to do this in smaller areas with a sponge and the dye diluted with distilled water - dab it on and work in small circles rather than brush it on. Just did one of my steering wheels this way and it came out great.

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    You may have inadvertently bleached it with one of the other cleaners. If so any conditioner impact will only be temporary. It’s a lot more work, but I’ve had good luck removing the door cards, masking the area around the inserts, and re-dyeing them with an air brush. I’ve also been able to do this in smaller areas with a sponge and the dye diluted with distilled water - dab it on and work in small circles rather than brush it on. Just did one of my steering wheels this way and it came out great.
    You're probably right, I didn't even think about that. It's been like this since I've owned the car, so the previous owner must've bleached it somehow. I don't have an airbrush to do any work like that myself, so I'd have to take it to someone. How much would a job like that cost do you think?

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    A good mobile detailing company could repair it for $100 (they have min service fees). I bought the supplies to do mine from Leatherword Technologies (I also did my seat covers). If you are careful and have good attention to detail, you could fix that with their sponge kit for a reasonable price. Using an air brush gives a factory like matte finish, but it’s not required for a door insert.

https://www.leatherworldtech.com/Aut...art-s/1843.htm

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    A good mobile detailing company could repair it for $100 (they have min service fees). I bought the supplies to do mine from Leatherword Technologies (I also did my seat covers). If you are careful and have good attention to detail, you could fix that with their sponge kit for a reasonable price. Using an air brush gives a factory like matte finish, but it’s not required for a door insert.

https://www.leatherworldtech.com/Aut...art-s/1843.htm
    Awesome, I'll certainly look into doing that when I have the time. Thanks for the info!