Thread: 320CI Camshaft position sensors

My Cars
    BMW e46 320Ci

320CI Camshaft position sensors

Hi all,

I asked this question already couple of weeks ago, but didn't really get a satisfying answer so let's give it another go.

I have a '01 320CI 125kW and problems with both camshaft position sensors. Sometimes (about 1 in 10 startups) the engine has to crank like 3 seconds and then I have a huge power loss because of intake camshaft position sensor failing (Error code P0340). Then every 25-50 runs I get the same error, but for the exhaust side, also camshaft position error. I check my engine error codes frequently via bluetooth OBD and these errors are only sporadic. I've replaced both sensors with Hella ones, but errors keep occurring. Ive sprayed both wiring harnesses with Liqui Moly Contact Spray, to no effect. Someone told me to check the wiring harnesses futher, but they both run underneath the engine itself, Idk where or how I could check this. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Have you tested each one with a multi-meter? While the DME checks it, that is only to see if they are actually working. I have seen Sensor out of specs and car will still drive normal with a hiccup now and again.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW e46 320Ci
    Thank you for your answer.

I would assume intake sensor works about 9 out of 10 times and exhaust fails very sporadically, as I notice it directly and easily (considerably less power) when 1 sensor doesn't operate as it should while driving. I know beforehand that it only takes a second turn of the key to make the engine run normally again, after the 3 second cranking I know that there is smt wrong so I just stop and try again, then no problem at all. I would imagine that if the sensors would be down all the time, I would notice very easily, so it is only once in a while that they fail. The code also says "intermittent" so I would guess it might have to do with the harness, but I can't access said harness..

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You can always open the electronic box, and back probe from the DME connector.

At the age of the car, it would be worth just to replace them for GP.

But testing is the way to go, for normally I don't recommend just throwing parts at a car.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW e46 320Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    But testing is the way to go, for normally I don't recommend just throwing parts at a car.
    Exactly, especially considering that I just replaced them both with Hella new ones. I'll have my Multimeter out this weekend and diagnose them. I've made some easy step-by-step pics should somone be interested and I'll let you know. Anyway thanks for your replies.

Camshaft diagnose Exhaust.jpg Camshaft diagnose Intake.png

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Hella is good quality sensors, Bosch and Siemens are in the same pack IMO.

Now with that said, I cannot say that I have never seen one of those sensor out of spec brand new. The good thing is they always have a warranty, so if you do find one out of spec, easy to return.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW e46 320Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Hella is good quality sensors, Bosch and Siemens are in the same pack IMO.

Now with that said, I cannot say that I have never seen one of those sensor out of spec brand new. The good thing is they always have a warranty, so if you do find one out of spec, easy to return.
    Yes Exactly, I'll test them this weekend, thanks for the replies.