Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a good LED headlamp solution?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster

Is there a good LED headlamp solution?

Apologies for digging up what may be an old topic. I looked thru the FAQs and saw plenty of HID options, but not LED.

Have any of you chaps found a reliable kit/source to replace only the headlamps with LEDs?
    Please provide any recommendations/links.

I'm not seeking to go LED all the way 'round...my markers/blinkers are fine, i just want to throw a clearer, brighter set of beams.
    Cheers,
    Brad

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I used the LED bulbs listed below. Just plug and play. They work great and give a white light. You do need to make sure your lights are aimed correctly because they are much brighter than stock and could upset on coming drivers. I have had mine in for 4 years now and have only had one person blink their lights at me and that was on a curve where my lights were pointed into their lane.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    I used the LED bulbs listed below. Just plug and play. They work great and give a white light. You do need to make sure your lights are aimed correctly because they are much brighter than stock and could upset on coming drivers. I have had mine in for 4 years now and have only had one person blink their lights at me and that was on a curve where my lights were pointed into their lane.

Thanks for the recommendation. Some of the reviews suggest the product doesn't last long, but the newer ones are possibly better made. And if you've been OK for 4 years, it sounds worth a shot.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-12-2019 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I was a bit concerned with the reviews on Amazon too when I got mine, but these bulbs were recommended on the forum, so I though I would give them a try. I have come to believe that you can't always take the reviews at face value. Also, you don't know what their applications are.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    ... you can't always take the reviews at face value. Also, you don't know what their applications are.
    Good point. One guy was complaining that they aren't suitable for some sort of Chevy SUV.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I have seen a lot of review where the person was complaining about something not doing something it was not designed (or advertised) to do. It IS interesting how some people think.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Brad, if you've got the coin do it right. There's a shop up in NNJ that can customize your lights for you, IE install projectors, LED, Xenon, etc. I used them to repair the dynamic Xenons in my X5. At some point I plan on doing this for my Z3.

https://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/makemodel/bmw/bmw-z3/
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Brad, if you've got the coin do it right. There's a shop up in NNJ that can customize your lights for you, IE install projectors, LED, Xenon, etc. I used them to repair the dynamic Xenons in my X5. At some point I plan on doing this for my Z3.

https://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/makemodel/bmw/bmw-z3/
    Frankly, I'm not sure I have the budget for a full conversion...I should probably direct those funds toward a much-needed soft-top replacement.
    A couple hundred for the bulbs mentioned above seems more likely at this stage. Thanks for the recommendation, though. Much appreciated!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Frankly, I'm not sure I have the budget for a full conversion...I should probably direct those funds toward a much-needed soft-top replacement.
    A couple hundred for the bulbs mentioned above seems more likely at this stage. Thanks for the recommendation, though. Much appreciated!
    No prob. I get it. That’s why I haven’t done it yet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    If you want to spread out the cost of the bulbs, there is no reason to do the high and low beams at the same time. I installed the low beams first and then got the high beams at a later date after I decided I liked the low beams.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Tossed in some Led bulbs yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised with the difference. In person they look way brighter than I can capture in a photo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-16-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Tossed in some Led bulbs yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised with the difference. In person they look way brighter than I can capture in a photo.

Keep us posted on your thoughts once driving in the dark.
    look good.

can you advise brand/model and where sourced?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by crashgordan View Post
    Keep us posted on your thoughts once driving in the dark.
    look good.

can you advise brand/model and where sourced?
    Sealight S2, bought on Amazon. Out of town through Sunday but hopefully I can get the car back on the ground next week.

Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Very much an upgrade over stock lights. You do need to make sure they are aimed correctly to keep from upsetting oncoming drivers.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Very much an upgrade over stock lights. You do need to make sure they are aimed correctly to keep from upsetting oncoming drivers.
    Yeah I wasn't terribly happy with gaps so will need to reaim for sure. Is there an official procedure these days? I usually just play with adjusters until they look about right on my garage wall.

Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Sealight S2, bought on Amazon. Out of town through Sunday but hopefully I can get the car back on the ground next week.

What’s the wattage? Don’t want to burn up the wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    What’s the wattage? Don’t want to burn up the wiring.
    I would guess this is what he installed:

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-SEA...ull-spons&th=1

The seller stated this in response to an Amazon user query:
    - For S2 series, it's around 3800 lumens and 25W for each bulb(low beam/high beam)
    UPDATE: I contacted the seller who confirmed that the set linked above is indeed intended for Z3 use.

The ones khammack listed farther above are
    3,500Lms per bulb...comparable, I guess.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-17-2019 at 08:53 AM.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Yeah I wasn't terribly happy with gaps so will need to reaim for sure. Is there an official procedure these days? I usually just play with adjusters until they look about right on my garage wall.

If you google it, you should be able to find some links that tell you how to put tape on your garage wall and then how to aim the lights. That is how I did mine.

My Cars
    N/A
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ht-Bulbs/page2

Any changes or advancement from the last discussion on the topic?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Reporting back. LEDs blow my old HIR bulbs away. I'd say light output is very close to the HIDs in my Roadster, only real difference being the beam cutoff. If you're on the fence, you won't regret.

Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 5sp
    Reporting back. LEDs blow my old HIR bulbs away. I'd say light output is very close to the HIDs in my Roadster, only real difference being the beam cutoff. If you're on the fence, you won't regret.

Is that a shot with low beams only or high? Thanks
    ‘98 Z3 2.8 roadster, Montrealblau/tan 5sp, M50 manifold, AFE intake, SuperSprint catback, Bilsteins, BAVAuto sport springs, Style 42 BBS

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by fignewton View Post
    Is that a shot with low beams only or high? Thanks
    Just lows and Led fogs. Right was shooting a little high so adjusted it shortly after.

Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I’m a noob, and definitely don’t know too much about lamps. Can you just pop these in any headlight? Or do you need some type of adapter or something? HID are the ones that actually need a kit or something right?

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but to me it appears that most of the increased output is right in front of the car, and not much of it is very far down the road. Anyone who has dealt with this type of issue before will tell you that a bright road right in front of you will make it more difficult to see something at a distance. You want the light down the road, not right in front of you where it will cause your eyes to adjust to the near brightness.

So just to ask the question, can you see reflectors farther down the road than before?

Marty

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    6% down grade... I see plenty far.

Plug and play.

Nathan in Denver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast