6speed trans
    grip force flywheel
    m5 clutch
    solid bushings and reinforcements all the way around
    97 m3 rear subframe and diff

stoptech big brakes in front
    m3 brakes in rear
    ground control suspension with camber plates

Leaving some things out but that’s most of it so far. At this point I have the engine and trans in and next is timing the motor. This is my first time with this and really want to make sure I get it right. I’ll have some questions and appreciate any help and feed back! I got some photos to upload and some questions for you guys. ����
    Last edited by SaltySam; 05-27-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: No need for personal rants

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo
    Does anyone have any experience with the cams lock tools not wanting to lock together well? They both sit flush on the head with cams at tdc. The problem is the little hook at the top doesn’t really want to grab the other side. ? I also cheaped out and bought a eBay timing kit ...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Is the valve cover stud removed?

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo
    Yes all studs removed. I took a picture but not seeing where I can upload them to thread.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltySam View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the cams lock tools not wanting to lock together well? They both sit flush on the head with cams at tdc. The problem is the little hook at the top doesn’t really want to grab the other side. ? I also cheaped out and bought a eBay timing kit ...
    eBay blocks are garbage. I had the same problem awhile back. Had to borrow a set from a local member

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo
    Thanks for the reply and your right Illjust start with some quality tools because that’s most likely my issue.

I’m also scared after reading through a pelican article that my oil pressure relief valve was still installed. I never checked and head is already on with cut ring, manifold ect. Is there a way to check this without removing head?

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo
    Couple pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Those block appear to be sitting better than the cheap blocks I was using

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Thanks for the reply and your right Illjust start with some quality tools because that’s most likely my issue.

I’m also scared after reading through a pelican article that my oil pressure relief valve was still installed. I never checked and head is already on with cut ring, manifold ect. Is there a way to check this without removing head?
    The machine shop has always either left it or put it back. Hopefully that is the case for you.

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo
    First time using them and After messing around with them for a bit I got it to latch but they did take a little work. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. The cams do appear to be timed correctly tho.

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo
    Their a good machine shop and gave me a bag of anything removed already. Ill hope for the best then ����

While waitng on new vanos studs I began to mock up my piping. Its not tightened down yet and needs some new clamps. The coupler off the 90 on the turbo is really close to the block and manifold. I clocked the turbo best I could was thinking about heat wrapping it with something?
    Last edited by SaltySam; 05-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You will cook the coupler if it is too close. Wrapping it with fiberglass wrap could help.

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    eBay blocks are garbage. I had the same problem awhile back. Had to borrow a set from a local member

I used ebay blocks align the cams install one block then swing arm to fit other side adjust cam according. tighten. then recheck cams after arm has been connected between blocks. timing is perfect. 44$

99 Turbo M3 - BWs366 - RSI - Fuse Fabrication - JE Cutring -

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo

Small progress

I went to install the vanos and related parts today but was sent the wrong bolts. I ordered all new hardware from pelican parts but didn’t receive what I needed. Not a big deal just have to wait. In the mean time I set the timing on gears with new chain. Then placed everything where it needs to go. Hopefully this weekend will torque it all and be good to go.

Next step is to figure out my wiring harness. When I took the car apart I didn’t label anything like a dummy.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    I too have Ebay ( or Amazon ?) blocks. My took a bit of filing to get them to sit right. I got them sitting right before I removed anything, when I knew the cams were locked tdc (flywheel lock pin in, and chain and everything installed). They work fine now though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Their a good machine shop and gave me a bag of anything removed already. Ill hope for the best then ����

While waitng on new vanos studs I began to mock up my piping. Its not tightened down yet and needs some new clamps. The coupler off the 90 on the turbo is really close to the block and manifold. I clocked the turbo best I could was thinking about heat wrapping it with something?
    I had the same problem on my setup, coupler was pretty close to the manifold. I used aluminized fiberglass heat insulation. I have about 1.2k (so not that much) now with the new setup and no problems yet.

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo
    Glad to hear it’s holding up. I figured a lot of guys run the SPA manifold and would have delt with this. I went ahead and took your idea , thanks

My Cars
    E36
    I'm running a reinforced silicone coupler with heat wrap similar to below. After five years of boosting, so far so good.

https://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hp...caAh_NEALw_wcB

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo

best way to check wiring harness

I didn’t label anything when I took my motor apart and this is a new motor.This weekend I started to wire up my harness. Most of the wires seemed to lay and go where they wanted to. I’ve never done this before but was wondering the best way to make sure I got it right? I was thinking about getting a pin out out from the main harness plug and testing each sensor plug for continuity? So then I just need to order a new crank sensor and do my fuel lines and the manifold can go on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    I'm running a reinforced silicone coupler with heat wrap similar to below. After five years of boosting, so far so good.

https://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hp...caAh_NEALw_wcB

Thanks that seems like the better route to take. I will order one like that

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo

Where are you posting parts for sale?

It seems like the FS section is not used that often anymore. What’s the most common way you guys are posting parts for sale? Don’t tell me everything is on Facebook now lol!

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo

Angry

Small progress this week. I got the intake manifold back on, radiator mounted and inter cooler. I started to run my intercooler piping. I Have some electrical gremlins with the headlights to figure out but it’s coming together. Unfortunately I’m prettty sure I’m gonna have to take the transmission back out. I have a s54 trans and the shifter arm is too long. I cannot seem to get it undone from under the car. The pin is going in on the passenger side not the driver. Removed the clip but haven’t been able to get pin out.
    Last edited by SaltySam; 08-07-2019 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo
    Update on m50 turbo. I finally got my car running and driving over the last month. Thank you to the bimmerfroums community for all the help and knowledge. This thread has not been updated as it should of been. However there is so much good info here already most of my issues/concerns had been covered. I’ll post all the pictures

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo

My Cars
    1994 325i turbo

M50 turbo pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast