RM European Auto Parts

Thread: e46 330 trunk open indicator

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi

e46 330 trunk open indicator

curious to hear any suggestions/thoughts on this one.

2003 330 - one day the trunk lid open light lit up on the dash, and wouldn't shut off regardless of the trunk position.
    i had been having some issues with the trunk open button on the trunk itself not working so this seemed like a good time to do some investigation and order some parts. the parts aren't expensive, and they aren't that difficult to change.

having had a similar problem on both a previous bmw and a vw - i started with the trunk actuator.

ordered a bmw part - installed it - and, no change. if i latch the trunk manually while the lid is open the lights in the trunk go out, and the indicator goes off on the dash. if i unlock the trunk, those things come back on (as expected). if i close the trunk - the trunk open light stays on on the dash. the trunk closes, latches, etc. - all works great.

today - i tried adjusting the rubber stops on the lid but that didn't change anything. i also tried adjusting the strike itself but that didn't change anything either.

all other monitored openings - doors, etc. seem to work just fine.

the fact the indicator light on the dash goes out when i close the latch manually while the lid is open makes me think the wiring and GM are both fine - although, i didn't start digging into wiring yet - it just doesn't seem to make sense.

short of black tape on the cluster or seeing if i can code out the ability to monitor the trunk lid, any thoughts? anything obvious i'm missing here?
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    There is a micro switch built into the latch itself. I would say that you could open it up and adjust the micro switch, or just replace the latch itself.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Hi Darin! that’s the baffling thing - it’s doing the same thing with a brand new bmw part.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    if i manually latch the actuator with the lid open, the trunk lights (inside the trunk) go out, and the indicator on the dash goes out. that's what led me to believe it shouldn't be a wiring issue - but, i guess i'm at digging into the wiring at the trunk lid next....

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hi Greg, What happens if you close the trunk and then press down hard on the lid? Light go out?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    hi chris!!

honestly, i didn't think to try that - i'll give it a go and report back....

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    so, finally got a chance to fiddle with this some more.

pushing on the trunk didn't change anything.

however, after messing with the trunk lid/body harness snorkel i was able to finally get a result. i can now make the lid indicator on the dash flicker on/off, so, definitely got an issue with a wire or wires in that bend point.

i had suspected all along that was the most likely scenario, but, opening the lid and manually rolling the latch shut made the indicator on the dash go off - so, that was contradicting a wire theory. i didn't have time today to open the harness and fix the issue - but, will do that soon.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Like the E36, trunk wiring seems to be a problem with the E46's as well as they show their age.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Like the E36, trunk wiring seems to be a problem with the E46's as well as they show their age.
    yup, absolutely darin - and that really was my first suspicion that i had a wiring issue, but, the fact that i could get the indicator to go out by rolling the latch manually with the lid open really threw me for a bit. when i get time to open up the harness at that spot i'll see for sure and if a wire issue that'll be an easy fix at least!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I am having a similar problem with the wagon, the sprayer quit working. At first if I slammed the gate, it would work so I though it was the electronic control unit, but it is the wiring.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i meant to come back to this earlier - but, been busy.

anyway - yes, after digging into the trunk lid harness where it bends and enters the body, we found a couple of damaged wires and at least one broken wire. a little wire repair later and all is happy now....
    classic issue. just kinda crazy that with the trunk open it was making enough connection on the broken wire...

My Cars
    2005 E46
    2005 E46 Trunk latch, the open trunk indicator light in on, I have checked fuses 49-5a ,52-30a and 60 25a. all fuses are fine. I've positioned the trunk key in 12 clock position. I just purchased a trunk latch switch from BMW same issue. My trunk lights do not work I'm curious if the Trunk latch issue and the trunk lights are part of the same problem. Any suggestions would be graciously appreciated.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    as i did here (ideally, you would want to open a new thread for your issue), but, i would check the wiring that goes through the trunk on the passenger side. once we found one damage/broken wire, we found several. relatively straightforward fix with a soldering iron or crimp/seal connectors....