Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Pump Or Belt?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    What I need to find out is, how do I remove the base plate. I don't see any screws bolting it to the OFH. I tried moving it with my hands and it won't budge. My assumption is, the two bolts that slide into the bushes are what fasten the base plate and tensioner to the OFH. Maybe I should gently tap the base plate with a hammer to see if it will break free from the OFH?

My Cars
    99 M3

Water Pump Or Belt?

LOL!!! So you removed #8 and fastener #9 before removing fasteners #10, #11, and #13?

Go back and re-read previous posts. You need to re-assemble the Tensioner Assembly before re-installing.
    You needed to remove the Tensioner Assembly by removing fasteners #10, #11, and #13, not #9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-11-2019 at 06:10 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    LOL!!! So you removed #8 and fastener #9 before removing fasteners #10, #11, and #13?

Go back and re-read previous posts. You need to re-assemble the Tensioner Assembly before re-installing.
    You needed to remove the Tensioner Assembly by removing fasteners #10, #11, and #13, not #9.

No need to rip the guy. He's learning and listens better than most.
    But yeah, you're right about the disassembly.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

I was able to remove the base plate and put everything back together. bluptgm3 I appreciate your help but, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I already had the tensioner assembly removed #20, except for the base plate #2, which was still connected to the OFH. My issue was, I couldn't reconnect the tensioner assembly #20 back onto the base plate #2. It wouldn't align correctly. What I had to do was, remove the base plate in order for the entire assembly to connect back onto the OFH.

Ross, no worries, I appreciate the support. Now I know how to replace the hydraulic belt tensioner. When I get the correct new one, it will take me no time to replace.
    Thanks all!

My Cars
    99 M3
    Tensioner Assembly might still be good. Was the bearing in the pulley bad? Then simply replace the pulley, it is considered replaceable on Hydraulic/Spring Tensioner Assembly.
    No part number for pulley alone on Mechanical/Spring Tensioner Assembly.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Tensioner Assembly might still be good. Was the bearing in the pulley bad? Then simply replace the pulley, it is considered replaceable on Hydraulic/Spring Tensioner Assembly.
    No part number for pulley alone on Mechanical/Spring Tensioner Assembly.
    I have a new pulley waiting to be installed but, I need a new hydraulic tensioner. I ordered just the hydraulic tensioner #8. Once that part comes in I will replace both the pulley and tensioner with the new parts.

Thanks all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12