Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering shake / vibration at highway speed

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Koutavi View Post
    What kind of sound? My car is making a noise I'm trying to pin down, a squealing while braking and sometimes when accelerating. It's not consistent.
    Does It do it after it has rained or after a car wash?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 e31
    My centerlink on e38 was worn..not sure if you replaced that- its not on your list. The ball on stud that attaches to pitman arm wears out and makes a clunking noise when going into a driveway/over lip in apron. Vibration issues were light but the clunk drove me nuts.

"My" e31 however had extreme vibration with same worn ball area as well as some inner tie rod looseness. I found it by having car up in air and moving tire side to side looking for play in steering "system". With warn ball the center link & entire system can move side to side relative to the pitman arm..steering wheel vibrates left/right.

Just an idea..

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by AJe31 View Post
    My centerlink on e38 was worn..not sure if you replaced that- its not on your list. The ball on stud that attaches to pitman arm wears out and makes a clunking noise when going into a driveway/over lip in apron. Vibration issues were light but the clunk drove me nuts.

"My" e31 however had extreme vibration with same worn ball area as well as some inner tie rod looseness. I found it by having car up in air and moving tire side to side looking for play in steering "system". With warn ball the center link & entire system can move side to side relative to the pitman arm..steering wheel vibrates left/right.

Just an idea..
    If that was aimed at me, tie rods and center link are all new, about 5k miles on the parts. I'm well used to the worn steering parts check having a Jeep in the garage, nothing has any detectable play (visually or by putting a hand on it while someone moves the wheel).

New wheel bearings are arriving today, so I'll attack the driver's side that's started to make noise when I get home from work. Won't get to the other one until tomorrow most likely.

My Cars
    1997 e31
    Quote Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
    If that was aimed at me
    yes...ah ok..sometimes frustrating to solve these type of issues..having been there a couple of times myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12