Thread: 93 740i trans program codes 105. 155, diagnostic tool E32?

My Cars
    1993 740l

93 740i trans program codes 105. 155, diagnostic tool E32?

I have a 93 740l, e32. It drives fine on the freeway. But going down the off ramp. It will suddenly down shift and the transmission program will go on.
    My friends garage put it on a computer while it was in this mode. What came up was factory code 105 and 155. Any ideas? It's either the brain or the gear box?
    Thanks!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Which code reader? I do not know these codes, they do not exist for the M60 DME, what did the shop say? Your M60 has the M3.3 DME and there I only find these codes, all possible codes listed http://www.endtuning.com/bmwcodes.html#DME17
    Transmission program comes always on to protect the whole drive system when something is wrong, must not be a transmission problem, just limp home mode.
    Did you already check the trans fluid level? https://www.europeantransmissions.co...MWtechinfo.htm
    When was the ATF and the ATF filter changed last time?
    Do a stomp test and report back, these 105 and 155 do not help much https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...e-pedal-faults
    Last edited by shogun; 05-11-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    If you are referring to TCM fault codes:

105 speed monitoring.
    Trans/engine speed ratio is not correct for the gear selected
    Speed sensor signal faulty
    Slip in transmission too high

155 CAN load signal
    Anomalous load signal detected by DME

I had a similar problem some years ago and believe that you may have a trans speed sensor soft failing. You can drive at motorway speed all day. But when you slow down on the off ramp, it suddenly throws you into limp mode. I have no evidence to back this up but I believe it is designed that way - you would not want the car dropping a gear or two with a huge thump when you are driving at high speed.

Try comparing the resistance of the two speed sensors. They should be identical. Do this at the TCM plug so your test includes the wiring.

My Cars
    1993 740l
    Hey guys. Could you lead me in the right direction? I would like to purchase a diagnostic tester in the $150.- 200. Range. Then l could get a better idea what the limp mode problem is. I already dropped $50. On a speed sensor and l don't want to start throwing parts at it hoping to fix it. Thanks for your time.
    By the way. I'm the guy with the 93 740l. E32
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by moore4225@gmail; 05-18-2019 at 10:50 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Not that easy to find a working diagnostic tool for the pre-OBDII E32, which is also easy to handle.
    One thing is for sure, the Schwaben by Foxwell does not work on E32 and E34, although it is often advertised to work on these cars, see comments from users here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hlight=foxwell
    As for SRS: I once sold the SIR3 and BOA SRS reset tools, that works on BMW from 1987, unfortunately sold out. The Peake SRS tool as well as the cheap chinese made B800 SRS code reader and reset tool also do not work on E32, only on models from 1994/5 with newer SRS modules.
    Maybe a member here from the forum can chime in and tell you which tool works on the E32. It also depends on what you want to do with the tool. Just reading simple codes engine/emission related the Peake fault code tool works, Peake closed the shop some time ago, but still many used ones on sale. But with the Peake tool you do not have any access to transmission faults, central chassis electronics etc, just emission/engine related faults.
    My wrenching buddy bought a GT1 tester directly from China, works like described here http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-gt1-o...-tester-one-2/
    The one he got was lousy quality, even some connectors were not completely wired. As he is an electronic engineer after many weeks he finally could get is running. For example on my car we tested the central chassis electronics such as locking system, wiper pressure system, IHKA system etc.
    But he seldom uses it, too complicated, needs a laptop etc.
    For easy testing the Peake tool is still the best, fits in glovebox, just stick it into the diagnosis port, start, read the code number, check that in the manual. But it is very limited in diagnosis, especially for older E32 like my 1989 model M70 with the old M1.2 DME

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Another story translated from the German E32 forum with 5HP30 in limpmode:
    E32 740i 12/92, gearbox program 5HP30: these days the car again came up with the infamous message trans program. O.k., first I checked on the OBC the on-board voltage ---> was o.k., then used a fault code tool,it showed pin 42 speed sensor ... Carried out the test procedure for this ---> zero problem.
    Then made the reset procedure, battery disconnected, waiting, battery reconnected ---> test drive ---> gearbox program. Again fault code diagnosis, this time Can-Bus, something with Mass airflow sensor.

Then I thought hmm, 2 so different messages? What could that be? Mass/ground wire problem? Then I suddenly remembered to have loosened the ground cable from chassis to the engine days ago when I changed the climate compressor belt.
    Ordered new cable (sheathing of the old is slightly crumbly & cracked) and installed it and since the trans program warning message is no longer coming up, and for safety I cleaned the 4 pins of the MAF, they were slightly green-spangled/oxidized.
    ------------------
    This shows again how important good and clean ground cables in our old cars are, bad ones cause a lot of problems.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Anyone using the FOXWELL NT 520 PRO on E32? https://www.obdadvisor.com/foxwell-nt520-vs-nt510/

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    and up with this thread, maybe someone has some new results from testing or can recommend another fault code tools which works on E32 and is easy to handle.

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Snap-On diagnostic scanner Zeus works with E32 models.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by moore4225@gmail View Post
    Hey guys. Could you lead me in the right direction? I would like to purchase a diagnostic tester in the $150.- 200. Range. Then l could get a better idea what the limp mode problem is. I already dropped $50. On a speed sensor and l don't want to start throwing parts at it hoping to fix it. Thanks for your time.
    By the way. I'm the guy with the 93 740l. E32
    Thanks again!
    Did you resolve your issue? Posting because we got the trans program error yesterday... going at about 25mph, in town slight incline... turned off, restarted... driven about 20miles in town now, no issues. Yes I need to find out any error message(s)

I have tried a few solutions, but have the wrong INPA version on a custom made interface connected to an old PC running WIN XP pro.

I also have a foxwell NT530 but not very useful...

There is a vendor on ebay that has the Ads version for our model, but requires an internet download.