Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Paint Peeling from Bumper

My Cars
    2018 116D

Paint Peeling from Bumper

I have a 2018 116d which I bought when it was 9 months old from a dealer. I recently got it washed at a car cleaning place and when I got back I noticed that there was some paint missing on the rear bumper. If it was a scratch, I would have have just assumed they'd bumped it with the pressure washer or something but the way the paint is coming off leaves me with a few questions.

My main question is, how does the paint come off like this? If it has been bumped surely it would just be a scratch. The flaking made me wonder whether it had been through a poor quality respray before I bought it and the use of a pressure washer and a cloth has just flaked some poorly applied paint. It's mineral white and so I was trying to see if there was any colour difference but I'm not sure. From the current damage, I could easily just keep peeling away at the paint which I wouldn't have thought would be possible on a modern car with its original bumper colour buy maybe I'm wrong.

Can anyone advise? Should I start with the cleaning company or the dealer? What would be your guess on how this happened? Pic attached

https://imgur.com/a/Qp1AmFI

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    The most common explanation would probably be a previous dealer touch up that wasn't prepped properly. You have to remember that dealers don't really care about the quality of the product, they're more concerned about the quantity of the money then can get from you. So, 'make it look nice but don't spend a ton of dough on it', is their credo.

I'd go to the back to the dealer and try to get them to fix it properly. And if they refuse to deal with it, I'd do some research and find the most reputable shop in your town/city and bite the bullet.

My Cars
    2018 116D
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    The most common explanation would probably be a previous dealer touch up that wasn't prepped properly. You have to remember that dealers don't really care about the quality of the product, they're more concerned about the quantity of the money then can get from you. So, 'make it look nice but don't spend a ton of dough on it', is their credo.

I'd go to the back to the dealer and try to get them to fix it properly. And if they refuse to deal with it, I'd do some research and find the most reputable shop in your town/city and bite the bullet.
    I'm sure you're right. Thank you very much for the advice.