Thread: OIL Fill Level Inidcator is wrong

My Cars
    2007 BMW m6 2004 BMW M3

OIL Fill Level Inidcator is wrong

Hi:
    I recently purchased a 2007 m6 convertible. It has 46K miles on it. Since I wasn't aware of the car's past I had all the fluids in the car changed -- radiator flush new oil in engine and transmission. Now the oil level inidcator is saying add a quart. The technician who did the work assures me 100% that the correct amount of oil was added during the change. Has anyone else encountered false readings from this sensor and what is the remedy?
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    650i, E350
    Not familiar with the M6, but the 650i has no dipstick... just the electronic display using the idrive to access.
    If you have the same... I would not add additional oil until you are sure what the level is. That means possibly draining, and re-filling.
    Another thing to consider... if the mechanic said the level is correct, did he account for the filter?
    Let us know how it works out.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by bjlsailor View Post
    ... Now the oil level inidcator is saying add a quart. The technician who did the work assures me 100% that the correct amount of oil was added during the change.
    Personally, I wouldn't have gone any further until the Technician told or showed me the exact amount of oil they used. Is it written on the receipt?. What if they had a brain fart and actually made a mistake and put in one less liter? If i ask someone how much oil they poured into my car...the answer definitely would need to include a number. Telling me "I put the correct amount in" is NOT the answer I want to hear.

Secondly, I would now how much oil it takes...and if the iDrive reading came back that it was short...someone would be giving up some answers that have empirical information...not so vague brush-off answer.

BTW, I believe the M6 (S85 engine?) takes 9 liters (approx 8.8 liters) (I'm guessing, so double check for the correct amount). I'd be checking to make sure that they didn't round down to 8 liters...because that would be .8 liters short. That's short enough for the oil level reading not to be a MAX...especially since the difference between MAX & MIN is approximately 1 liter.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-12-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 525it
    When changing the oil in the m6 you don't put all the oil in at first because you need to drive it and get it up to temp then recheck it. If you did put all the oil in then it's almost guaranteed that you would get a message that there is to much oil. The oiling system is more complicated then other engines and when adding the oil to bring it up to the correct level I would add say 1/2 at a time then recheck. If the gauge is asking for some oil put some in. The indicator represents one quart, not the full amount that's in the engine.