Thread: Does instrument cluster communicate with EWS?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Does instrument cluster communicate with EWS?

If swapping keys, lock cylinders and EWS module from another car do I need the instrument cluster as part of this package?
    Will the existing cluster show a tamper dot if these components are replaced? Is it coded to the EWS, etc.?
    Is the receiver for the ign key ring antenna part of the coded group or is it "dumb"?
    Thanks
    OH, '95 325i
    Last edited by ross1; 05-10-2019 at 10:39 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    99 M3

Does instrument cluster communicate with EWS?

Key antenna is dumb, the rest is linked.
    You won’t be able to buy a replacement key without the title of the donner car.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf

While the cluster is not tied into EWS protection it is tied to the DME by VIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Thanks. NO mention of the cluster though.
    The purpose of my question is to offer the complete locks set/ EWS & rcvr as replacements for someone with FUBAR'd locks, lost keys or messed up EWS as a bolt in repair. Essentially transferring the electronic identity of the donor to the broken car without need for coding.
    So, DME also?
    Last edited by ross1; 05-10-2019 at 11:18 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Cluster swaps do not need coding or ews or anything like that. The tamper light will show unless you reset it using the self test function on the cluster. In order to reset the tamper light, the new cluster must be lower miles than the old cluster. You will then need to swap the mileage chip from the old to the new. This Will overwrite the lower miles to the higher mileage number after accessing the self test functions. Cluster miles can only be overwritten to a higher number, not a lower one.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XnWarden; 05-10-2019 at 12:25 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Cluster swaps do not need coding or ews or anything like that. The tamper light will show unless you reset it using the self test function on the cluster. In order to reset the tamper light, the new cluster must be lower miles than the old cluster. You will then need to swap the mileage chip from the old to the new. This Will overwrite the lower miles to the higher mileage number after accessing the self test functions. Cluster miles can only be overwritten to a higher number, not a lower one.

Thank you!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post

Your giving half info.

The tamper dot on clusters with a coding key will only throw a tamper dot if the mileage on the inner EPROM is different from the coding key. If you swap over a cluster with its coding key from one car to another, no tamper dot will ever light up. The mileage is only know on the EPROM and coding key.

And you can always reset the tamper dot on coding key clusters. Doesn't matter what cluster is higher. If you want to keep *your* original mileage, the new clusters EPROM mileage must be lower than the coding key of the old one.

The tamper dot reset will write over the lower number, with the higher number, regardless of that being the one in the EPROM or coding key.

Old clusters have no coding key, when you bought a new cluster, the old mileage would be written down in the service manual.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    So if I am going to offer my "set" of parts for someone do I need to include the cluster(or the coding chip) or not?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Not per say.

You keep the coding key if you want to transfer *your* mileage over to another cluster.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Not per say.

You keep the coding key if you want to transfer *your* mileage over to another cluster.
    Thanks