Thread: Shaved door handle woes

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows

Shaved door handle woes

Ive had shaved door handles for a while on the pandemic build. And the only problems Ive had is finding quality weather resistant switches to activate the solenoids. It seems every year the switches go bad and I find myself locked out of my car.
    I have ways of getting in it, which is a pita, and I cant say online out of being held responsible for car theft.
    So Im here seeking alternative shaved door handle methods besides solenoids. Or proven weather resistant switches that arent giant honkers that are going to be completely noticeable on my sleek and trimless door.
    I know some are against shaved door handles,. keep it to yourself as Im positive if thats a concern, you wont like anything about the rest of my car(s)and you'r wasting your time.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    99 M3

Shaved door handle woes

What are Old School hot rodders using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Most of the higher end guys that do custom stuff use a aftermarket keyless security system. So when they hit the unlock button the door pops open.
    I want to be keyless, so having a fob is kinda the opposite of what I want. Lol
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    E36 325is
    How about you use the mirror's folding function as the handle mechanism. Would take some figuring but would be so sick it would be worth it.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    That sounds pretty complicated of a system when i think about how to accomplish it.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    E36 325is
    I am going to shave my door handles as well at some point so I may actually attempt this. It really should not be all that complicated as the mirror is attached to the door. Given that the latch has a pull mechanism, I imagine "T'ing" off of the the rod running to the inside door handle (Custom rod) that extends forwards. You would then need to create an armature or wire pully to run from the mirror to the rod.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The mirror is above the door cavity in front of the window. Only enough room for the wires from the mirror as its covered by a plastic cap trim piece. Theres no way to go from the mirror to the door cavity with any sort of hidden armature.

- - - Updated - - -

Not counting how many times a plastic mirror can withstand being pulled on. Hot and cold conditions applied. Theres alot to consider when making even a simple mechanism. For instance wetness and door switches. #fail.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Ive decided im going to modify the inner side of the door. So that theres a "hidden handle". So its shaved door, but no electronics, no poppers, no suprises to keepthe doorfrom opening. I have decided to have a hidden toggle switch somewhere unseen on the exterior that activates the locks and unlock on the zke modules. So that not anyone can just walk in the car.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    E36 325is
    I'll admit it will be a challenge, but I will make it work. That's one of those seemingly small details that sets your car apart from everyone else.
    There are no allot of places to hide that, maybe the corner marker could be a faux button? But its on the wrong side and way out there.
    I though my mirror idea was pretty legit.
    Last edited by FiberFast; 05-14-2019 at 04:04 PM.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Eh. Its strange to me reading that. Im actually swapping everything from the convertible onto a 93 coupe i have. The convertible shell will be sent to a scrap pile by the end of summer. So its almost as if im starting all over again.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    E36 325is
    I don't have interior door panels on my car and I was looking at this earlier... Might be easier than you think.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    As far as a waterproof switch, could you adapt the trunk switch from an e46? It's insulated.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    What if you use an electric switch in the mirror, then run wires to a solenoid door popper. These cars have the battery locked away in the trunk so you don't really need to worry about the dreaded dead battery scenario, if you cant get in, charge/replace the battery.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The e46 trunk switches are notorious for breaking internally. I think the only reason they last is because of the location. The switch put in direct path of the elements, i dont think would last.
    I have 2 creases i bent out on the edge of the door. Almost as if they have ears. I used them with the door poppers as a handle. Its small, just large enough to grab the door. Its right below where the handle would be so i could grab the door, press the button with my thumb (that was in the door key lock location) and pull the door open in one swoop. Theres no location to mount the door "popper" as the clearamces from the door to the frame are too tight to fit the popper. Luckily, the solenoid that pulls the door latch open, the door kicks out on its own about 1/8thof an inch.
    So ive decided, to extend the arm on the actual door latch. The arm that normally catches the handle arm. Ican extend it and make an armature that fits through a small hole i can make, right by my "ear handle" that can be operated by just squeezing the door and handle together. Il have to cut a minor hole in the door for the latch handle to escape. But, i think its going to hide better, not give me any hassle, no electronics or wires or grounding hinges or crap like that.
    Im swapping everything from the pandemic wide body to the 93 coupe. So i pretty much have a set of doors to screw around with incase.

-Oakdizzle