Thread: O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1 keeps dying

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe

O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1 keeps dying

I have a 1997 M3 and keep having an issue with my Bank 2 Sensor 1 (P0154) error. This one sensor keeps dying on me. I will replace the sensor then within a couple of thousand miles the sensor will fail and have to be replaced. Any ideas why this particular sensor keeps failing? The other 3 are just fine...

My Cars
    are slow.
    Which brand sensor are you using? Is it one you spliced in, or is it one that already comes with a plug?

How does the sensor look like when you pull it out?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Which brand sensor are you using? Is it one you spliced in, or is it one that already comes with a plug?

How does the sensor look like when you pull it out?
    I have tried Bosch and NTK (although they are both made by NTK). They come with the connector and the sensor "looks" fine when I take it out.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I recently installed the same NTK sensors at all four locations and have had zero issues with them. It sounds like this is some sort of issue upstream from the actual sensor on your car. The wiring/connector is the most obvious possibility. Not sure how one goes about verifying that, or fixing it. Someone more expert than me could probably tell you how to test the wiring with a multimeter.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    99 M3
    Yes, need to get wiring diagram (s) and pull the ECU and validate continuity from plug to ECU.

I have had similar issue on two E36 M3s, though I’ve only lost one sensor each.
    I my DD case I think it was a voltage issue, added distilled water to battery, charged it and no more code after replacing both just weeks before.
    Second case I swapped out the sensor.

I am wondering IF you have an injector issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Check the sensor at the connector on the signal wires (not the heater) with a MIN/MAX/AVG meter. This is the only reliable way to check for a bad sensor. If the readings are good THEN you have an issue somewhere between the connector and the ECU. Don't use the readings from a code reader or scan tool. If the sensor is bad then the ECU is probably not producing accurate readings to the tool.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    99 M3

O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1 keeps dying

Quote Originally Posted by tjm3 View Post
    Check the sensor at the connector on the signal wires (not the heater) with a MIN/MAX/AVG meter. This is the only reliable way to check for a bad sensor. If the readings are good THEN you have an issue somewhere between the connector and the ECU.
    Good info!!
    What values are we looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Good info!!
    What values are we looking for?
    You're looking for voltage values that normally vary between .1 and .9 volts, give or take a bit, an average of roughly .450v, all this in closed loop.
    Sensor should be connected and the signal wires backprobed. Don't use a cheap meter, the amperage is very low and a cheap meter could damage the ECU.
    Anything other than this and there's some other problem that needs help.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    I recently installed the same NTK sensors at all four locations and have had zero issues with them. It sounds like this is some sort of issue upstream from the actual sensor on your car. The wiring/connector is the most obvious possibility. Not sure how one goes about verifying that, or fixing it. Someone more expert than me could probably tell you how to test the wiring with a multimeter.
    Note sure how it can be the wiring. Like I stated when I put a new sensor in it works fine...for a while. If it was electrical wouldn't the new sensor also have problems from the start?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by kjl512 View Post
    Note sure how it can be the wiring. Like I stated when I put a new sensor in it works fine...for a while. If it was electrical wouldn't the new sensor also have problems from the start?
    Electrical problems can certainly be intermittent. In fact, most usually are. It's rare that a connection like this is completely severed someplace. More typically a wire is frayed or a connector is only making partial contact. It may work initially, but after some amount of jostling it will get into a state where the connection is lost. If you clear the code it may eventually recover in the same way if contact is re-established on its own, but this cycle will keep repeating until you fix whatever's broken.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy