Thread: welding front subframe reinforcements on top of the subframe?

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3

welding front subframe reinforcements on top of the subframe?

I have some rally road front reinforcements to weld in and I have watched one youtuber that welded one of the reinforcements (the one that is normally the most inner) on top of the subframe because it allows for a much better weld/easier to get in there. This would result in raising the motor by the thickness of the plate that is welded in. Anyone else done this? Doesn't seem like it would be a problem but would like to hear from anyone who's done this.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    All US M3 have the reinforcements already (possible 93 build date 95’s don’t).

The only rear reinforcements you need are RTAB pocket and rear sway bar subframe tabs.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I had considered the same, but opted to install them as intended inside the pocket. I thought it would be better to “sandwich” the existing sheet metal between the plate and the motor mount. Mounting it inside also allows you to weld one edge directly to the subframe rather than the motor mount ear.

It’s not really that bad to weld inside the pocket. The hardest part is cleaning prior to welding. Sandblasting is ideal, but I used a small wire wheel on a drill, the existing coating comes off very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    Great to know, saved me a lot of work!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Shit, front subframe. I read rear.

Yes you need to add the front subframe motor mount reinforcements too. I opted to just sandwhich mine was well and not weld them. I had them zinc coated first.

M3 front subframes do have thicker metal on the subframe motor mount standard, but they can tear.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Welding them on top of the subframe is the wrong way to do this. You really should weld them from under. It's not mission critical that you get a full bead of weld on this, just get it in place. Most mig guns will not have a problem fitting in there. The whole point is to spread out the load, so the plate pressing against the subframe does the work, not just the weld. Don't forget about the other piece of the kit which stitches together the subframe pieces.

This is the secondary piece. I get an old mount, or a bolt that mimics the mount, and thread the washer and the nut which goes on here, keep the socket in the hole while I tack this plate in place. It's a nightmare when you have a take off the subframe to drill this out or file it to fit that socket.

Last edited by Hova; 05-09-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President