Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Never Ends

My Cars
    02 530i
    Alright so got my cable in and got everything set up. I was able to read some shadow codes for engine and transmission but it won't let me connect to the ABS/DSC/Steering angle etc. I've tried all 4 positions for the switch on the cable. If I remember correctly it said it can't communicate with the module or something along those lines. Any ideas?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy530i View Post
    Alright so got my cable in and got everything set up. I was able to read some shadow codes for engine and transmission but it won't let me connect to the ABS/DSC/Steering angle etc. I've tried all 4 positions for the switch on the cable. If I remember correctly it said it can't communicate with the module or something along those lines. Any ideas?
    Solder pins 7&8 together in the cable. Then you'll be able to connect to all modules.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    02 530i
    I thought the purpose of the cables with the switches was not having to do that? I will have to come up with a way to get it to work tomorrow, I don't have any of my soldering stuff with me currently
    Last edited by fuzzy530i; 06-18-2019 at 01:18 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Which INPA cable do you have ? and which switches are you alluding to ??
    As far as I know, there are cables with 1 switch that can bridge pins 7 & 8, so that you will not have to solder them.

The problem you apparently have where you can connect to the engine and transmission modules, but no other modules in the car - that problem was related to bad "Chinese" cables with fake FTDI chip that the software driver does not recognize and actually disables.

My Cars
    02 530i
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-INP...72.m2749.l2649

is the one I bought. I searched and found this one out of CA instead of China like the rest that would've taken a month to get here.

My Cars
    02 530i
    Even with connecting 7 & 8 it still says something about no response from unit

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Looks like the right cable.

When you connect and activate INPA, do you have the icon lights on for battery and ignition ?
    Can you access and read the status of the engine and transmission modules for your car ?

Try it with either position of the switch. You will need to turn off engine key, exit and reload INPA after switching.

My Cars
    02 530i
    It will let me read the engine and trans. I didn't realize you had to restart it when switching. Mine has 4 positions in total so I will have to try them all. Ill report back

My Cars
    02 530i
    Well, just had to change the switch position and restart. Read ABS and got 33 (Open left front wheel speed sensor), 88(pre-charge pump), 81(pressure sensor). Deleted and read again and 81(pressure sensor) and 97(steering angle sensor). Read the steering angle sensor codes and got 9 and 11, cleared and re read and it 9 stayed. Not sure what the SAS codes mean. I cleared a bunch of things so gonna take it to class and then tire shop to see about patching/replacing my tire that has a screw in it. When I get back I will read everything and see what is stored again.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Good job, Kudos..See it ends!!

Now you have a well functioning INPA set-up that can read and program all the modules on your car. Happy debugging.

For a full list of error codes, check out this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...689&highlight= (posting #13 in particular)

My Cars
    02 530i
    So I initially got what the codes meant from this thread by bluebee

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=558345

Should I use the thread you linked instead? And now I just have to fix whatever is actually wrong, the brake and abs lights were off at the beginning of the drive and then came on towards the end. Not to sure about the DSC light though, it was on at the end but i didn't check at the beginning. I'll read them again when I get home.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Post the code(s) your getting and the meaning.

My Cars
    02 530i
    I posted what I got already in post 34. I will post the new ones once I get them read, is there an easy way for me to post pictures of what I get instead of just the numbers?

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I posted what I got already in post 34. I will post the new ones once I get them read, is there an easy way for me to post pictures of what I get instead of just the numbers?
    Yes, from your PC it's easy. (I've never done it from a phone).
    Save pic on your hard drive then click the 4th icon from the right side above, (you have to be writing a post to see them).
    Pick from computer option, then choose file (might have to resize pic first if the file size is large), then upload it.
    Once it's uploaded you can left double click on it which will open up another window, pick large size, then OK. Your done.
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-19-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: fixed error

My Cars
    02 530i
    Well, just had to change the switch position and restart. Read ABS and got 33 (Open left front wheel speed sensor), 88(pre-charge pump), 81(pressure sensor). Deleted and read again and 81(pressure sensor) and 97(steering angle sensor). Read the steering angle sensor codes and got 9 and 11, cleared and re read and it 9 stayed. Not sure what the SAS codes mean. I cleared a bunch of things so gonna take it to class and then tire shop to see about patching/replacing my tire that has a screw in it. When I get back I will read everything and see what is stored again.
    IMG_8509.jpgIMG_8508.jpgIMG_8507.jpg

Not entirely sure what order it will post the pictures in but if you read the quote it should help make sense of them. Below will be the new pictures of what i read after errands. For SAS 9 is the code that won't erase, and for ABS/DSC 81 is the code that won't go away.
    IMG_8515.jpgIMG_8514.jpg

My Cars
    1999 5281
    ive never seen an 88 code to be anything but the ABS module needing repair. if it was my car id send the module in for repair, after getting it back, clear any residual codes and go from there.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    OK..
    Before you do anything withy the ABS, try to recalibrate the SAS (steering angle sensor) and reset the trifecta lights (ABS/DSC/Brakes).

You can do it using the following procedure with Tool32 - from the INPA software installation. :
    (Load Tool32, Open group file DSC57.PRG, then double click "test_lenkwinkel" in the jobs list, wait 10 seconds, exit and remove key)
    See:
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=890659

Then test drive again. I am assuming your battery is fully charge, and your alternator is in good working condition. yes ?!

My Cars
    02 530i
    I will try that tomorrow once I am done for the day. And yes, i was looking at some things when i had the computer connected and car running, battery was at 13.7

And thank you for the link and instructions, I tried searching for ways and only found a manual method of turning your wheel lock to lock then driving straight.

My Cars
    02 530i
    Well it didn't work. I tried the tool32 steps and it didn't turn the lights off. So cleared all the codes and tried it again, still nothing. Oddly enough when i read the codes after that there wasn't any for ABS/DSC or SAS. So tried it again and still didn't work. Cleared codes and read them a few more times, ended up getting 97, 88, and 81. Cleared and kept reading (still nothing on SAS just ABS), got 81 and 97, cleared and re read and got 88 and 81, rinse and repeat and got 81. Guess this means it is the pressure sensor or pump?

Edit: Well just took the car to get my sick gf some wanton soup and everything but the DSC light was off. I'm perfectly happy with that, I prefer the DSC off. I'll wait a few days and re scan the error codes and see if there are any or if the lights come on.

Thank you for the info/help Chedley!
    Last edited by fuzzy530i; 06-19-2019 at 08:07 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Well, if it is only the DSC yellow light that stays on, your problem(s) are gone.

If there is a DSC button on your dashboard, press it. Then keep scanning for error codes with INPA, if any.
    Also, make sure you have DSC57 on your car (for Tool32) which I guess you do. Check it with a search on your VIN #.

Hey, it ends well after-all... !!

My Cars
    02 530i
    Well spoke to soon. They're back, ABS codes 33, 81, and 88, and then SAS code 9. Guess I will have to do some more digging and some diagnosis to figure out exactly what it is.

Edit: I'm not sure what has changed but since i did the "test_" thing any time I clear the codes it turns off the Brake/ABS for one drive then on the next start up they're back. Before the test when I cleared them it didn't go away.
    Last edited by fuzzy530i; 06-20-2019 at 04:31 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Well, that confirms that you do have a bad ABS module that needs to be fixed/rebuilt.

You should also check and clean the brushes of your SAS -steering angle sensor-, often that is all there is to it. Then re-calibrate it ( with the
    "test_lenkwinkel" job in Tool32. )
    and test again.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post

You should also check and clean the brushes of your SAS -steering angle sensor-, often that is all there is to it.
    Brushes? I thought it was an optical sensor??

My Cars
    02 530i
    Even though I probably won't do it for a while, what are my options for the ABS repair? I'm assuming I can buy a new one (no go), but is there anywhere that rebuilds them for cheaper or anything? Can I get one from a similar year e39/e46 from somewhere like LKQ?

And once I take my final in a few weeks I will mess with the SAS
    Last edited by fuzzy530i; 06-20-2019 at 07:10 PM.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    BBA Remanufacturing in Taunton, MA or Module Masters.

Both have websites and stores on eBay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast