Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never Ends

My Cars
    02 530i

Never Ends

So after my cluster issues mysteriously resolved themselves, everything was ok for a few weeks. Then one day I started up the car and the brake and ABS lights came on. Since then they randomly come on and turn off. I haven't been able to pin point whats causing it because it doesn't always do it and they will turn off or on randomly in the middle of driving. Any ideas on what it could be?

Also side question; picked up a nice complete set of what I think is piano black interior trim from the junkyard. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to them to prevent cracking like my original brown set has done with time?

My Cars
    03 540i6 M-Sport
    Your ABS module could be going bad. Mine did the same until I had it repaired. No real way to test that I know of unfortunately.

No idea on trim preservation. Keep it out of the sun as much as possible?

Same thing that will make you smile will make you cry. Was that a piston?

My Cars
    1999 5281
    what code(s) is the ABS module telling you?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy530i View Post
    So after my cluster issues mysteriously resolved themselves, everything was ok for a few weeks. Then one day I started up the car and the brake and ABS lights came on. Since then they randomly come on and turn off. I haven't been able to pin point whats causing it because it doesn't always do it and they will turn off or on randomly in the middle of driving. Any ideas on what it could be?

Also side question; picked up a nice complete set of what I think is piano black interior trim from the junkyard. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to them to prevent cracking like my original brown set has done with time?
    I've never seen the painted plastic trim crack before. Only the wood trim. Did you really have the plastic trim before and it cracked?

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    02 530i
    I don't have anything but a basic code reader that tells me PXXXX when the SES comes on. How did you fix it, replace the ABS module with one from BMW or what?

And it is one of the brown wood ones, they were cracked a little from people removing it and then formed random cracks, from heat/sun i assume, over time.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    You can send your ABS module in for repair. Do a google search to see if the symptoms fit your issue and research issues with driving without a module, but I recommend BBA Reman as they are around $90.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I don't have anything but a basic code reader that tells me PXXXX when the SES comes on. How did you fix it, replace the ABS module with one from BMW or what?

And it is one of the brown wood ones, they were cracked a little from people removing it and then formed random cracks, from heat/sun i assume, over time.
    The Piano Black trim is just plastic and doesn't tend to crack, so you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2002 525i

You need to invest in a better scan tool. On these cars, the basic readers are really only good for the smog stuff.

Have it repaired if possible. A new one is not only more expensive but must be recoded with your VIN by a dealer or an indy with the proper computer.

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    What were the cluster problems you were having? Speedo not working, or the ABS lights, etc.? Have you checked out your abs sensors? If they are stuffed (they can came apart) you'll get ABS lights, etc. and lose cluster functions that rely on said sensor.

My Cars
    02 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by AusE39er View Post
    What were the cluster problems you were having? Speedo not working, or the ABS lights, etc.? Have you checked out your abs sensors? If they are stuffed (they can came apart) you'll get ABS lights, etc. and lose cluster functions that rely on said sensor.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...uster-problems

There is the link to my thread that details everything to do with the cluster.

I forgot to mention that back in 2017 the DSC, ABS, and Brake lights came on upon start up.

The other day I started the car up and I noticed that the DSC, abs, and brake lights were on in the cluster, a few seconds later the SES light came on with a p1174 and p1175 code. I cleared the SES codes and at my next start up the only light on was the DSC which has stayed on."

The DSC is still on and always has been but the other ones have stayed off and not come back on until recently. Is there any way to definitively know it's the ABS module? I'm going to do some more research tonight into that. I haven't noticed any differences when the lights are on or off, I've tried braking really hard in a safe environment and they don't lock up or have reduced performance compared to it being off.

And regarding the trim, are any of the pieces still available through the dealership? The only piece I wasn't able to get was the little piece on the shift knob. If I can't find it I may just try to find vinyl wrap closest resembling the piano black and wrap it.

My Cars
    1999 5281

you need a BMW specific scanner to read the ABS codes, as well as other non OBDII modules on the car. a generic scanner only reads the OBDII engine codes, as mandated by fed. law.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    DSC lite only could be the steering angle sensor needs cal'd or is bad, or one of the other DSC sensors is malfunctioning, or the ABS module could be bad. again, having the ABS codes is the place to start. DSC and ABS, while tied together, are two different systems. locking the brakes in a straight line doesnt exercise the DSC part, only the ABS, and as the DSC Lite is lit, the DSC is off.

My Cars
    02 530i
    Oh I should've clarified, I know the DSC is off and has been off for a long time. When I said I haven't noticed any difference I meant it as DSC being off as the baseline. Is there a good scanner that can do this stuff that won't break the bank?

My Cars
    1999 5281
    inpa or pasoft loaded on a laptop,around $30 with corresponding cable, creator 310, $75 (wont do steering angle cal), foxwell 510 $200 (unsure if itll allow the cal)

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
    inpa or pasoft loaded on a laptop,around $30 with corresponding cable, creator 310, $75 (wont do steering angle cal), foxwell 510 $200 (unsure if itll allow the cal)
    Believe the Foxwell does the calibration. Alex did it iirc.

Howdy Matt! Hope the storms are staying north and the waters aren’t coming too fast.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    1999 5281
    hello TAB...oh we've gotten the rains and t storms, winds missed us, rivers lakes and puddles on the road are hi....was just wondering bout ya a coupla days ago. hope you and the family are doing well, happy moms day to mrs bear.

My Cars
    02 530i
    Any places you recommend getting them from? See all kinds of options on ebay etc. Do any of them do more than just read the codes and steering recal?

Fri and Sat are extremely busy for me in terms of work so I won't be able to sit down and do real research until Sunday.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    the creator is the weak link in the 4 options i mentioned, theres some questions of its claimed capabilities and accuracy of some readings. the other 3 are all well used and liked packages.

My Cars
    01 540/6
    Fuzzy, i went the cheap ebay route with inpa. search Mikes easy bmw tools in google. load this on an old windows 7 laptop. it will set itself up. 2nd step: get a K+DCAN cable with the green board ( its green thru the translucent cover) 3rd step: jumper pins 7 and 8 in the scanner cable, you can solder, but my solder skills are marginal. what I did was to take a female crimp on spade terminal and cut it down to a sliver , then slid the shaved off sliver down the pins 7 & 8 . perfect fit and no solder and no impedance of plug going into OBD2 port ( see pic)
    ..... plug and play from there

At least it was for me.
    scanner mod.jpg

My Cars
    02 530i
    So I have found a couple different places to get the pa soft from. Any suggestions on a reliable source? I saw a post where someone said the original pa soft website had it for free but couldn't find that, so it's between any of the people on Ebay and xcar360.

My other issue is I have a mac, I'm trying to find my old windows computer but its from the mid 2000s so its extremely old and not sure what windows I can download that will be compatible with the pa soft. I could probably use my gf's computer but I don't to mess her computer up if I make a mistake
    Last edited by fuzzy530i; 05-14-2019 at 01:28 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    So,
    --INPA (Mike's Easy BMW Tools software) will install on Windows-XP, 7 or 10, and on Mac's as well. Download it.
    --Buy the "INPA K+DCAN cable with switch" -that can switch on and off pins 7,8- so you will not have to solder anything.

and you are all set.

My Cars
    02 530i
    That wouldn't install on my mac but I'm getting an old windows laptop of mine tomorrow so I will try it on that one and see what happens. Thanks for the link btw, I'll report back with what happens.

My Cars
    02 530i
    Finally got a windows laptop and tried to install the program. When I download it says "error writing file, is your hard drive almost full? (getDirectory)". I have 444 MB free and it says the file is only 162.9 MB. Any clue what that means?

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Finally got a windows laptop and tried to install the program. When I download it says "error writing file, is your hard drive almost full? (getDirectory)". I have 444 MB free and it says the file is only 162.9 MB. Any clue what that means?
    Could be a corrupt installation image. Where did you get it, and what version of Windows.

You can also try right-clicking the program and select "Run as Administrator." This fixes some "error writing to file" errors, but not all of them.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    02 530i
    I got it from windows website, I ended up having to partition my mac and get it installed. Just waiting on the cable to come in the mail, supposed to be here the 24th
    Last edited by fuzzy530i; 06-13-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast