I'm hoping to set up a computer dedicated to running diagnostic software for my BMW 's. I have a 2005 e83 x3 and a 1998 e38 740i (build date 11/97).
I have a Dell laptop with an RS232 serial port and a fresh copy of Windows XP installed.
I have a 20pin to serial port tinyADS Paxman connector as well as a BCables 16pin K-line to USB connector with a 20pin adaptor. (I don't think it is ADS interface)
I have ready to install the BCables software suite and Mike's easy BMW tool suite.
My question. For the x3 I'll have to use the BCables USB connector and I suppose best to use their software package. Perhaps not? Will their cables work fine with another software suite such as Mike's?
For the e38 740i I am unclear if it requires ADS but if so I believe I will have to use the 20 pin to serial cable.
That's the first thing to determine.
If I don't need ADS then things are simplified. I use the BCables cable, adaptor, and software for both. Or Mike's if compatible.
If I do... Will I have to download some non BCables software to work with the ADS cable (Mike's)? Will two versions of each program conflict or interfere with the other? How do I deal with choosing the proper port for each car/software combination?
What other problems such as drivers, VMware, and such am I likely to run into?
Thanks for any help. I've read 1998 postings on this and not found any thing yet to get me up and running.

Robert Earnest

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk