Thread: Two 2016 740i Issues - Rear Pillar Lights (Sabers), and Powering the Car Off

My Cars
    2016 BMW 740i; 2015 X4

Two 2016 740i Issues - Rear Pillar Lights (Sabers), and Powering the Car Off

I bought a 2016 740i last month (still under warranty), and I am trying to decide out whether there are two issues needing service, or if I just don't know how to *properly* operate the car.

- The first is the rear-seat B-pillar passenger lights (I've seen them called 'sabers'). The manual says that these lights can be turned off and on by touching the designated symbol at the base of the light, and the intensity can also be increased, but mine don't seem to respond to either. I've never ridden in the back of the car at night, so perhaps it's only when the car is in motion/underway?

- My car also never fully powers off when pressing the engine "start" button and exiting the car. My wife's X4 turns off after a second "start" button push (once to stop the engine, another to power down the car), but my 740i always stays powered on no matter how often I press the start button. Pressing the start button for several seconds doesn't help, either. The radio keeps thumping and the interior lights keep glowing after I exit the car and close the door. I believe the car finally powers down after five-to-ten minutes, and pressing "lock" on the doors will also power it down, but I feel more comfortable being able to power down before I open the door to exit.

Any thoughts on these two issues? Is my car malfunctioning in some way, or is it acting as designed, and I'm expecting other behavior?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    Not sure about the light sabers, but to power the car down totally, press and hold the radio volume knob for a couple seconds. Or you can just lock the door when you walk away.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician