Thread: F10 AC not working and radiator fan not turning on

My Cars
    2011 535i X Drive

F10 AC not working and radiator fan not turning on

Hi All

First post here. Sorry if this is a duplicate but I searched and searched and could not find an answer.

My problem is i turned my ac on and nothing happens. Hot air continues to blows out the vents. (blower motor works great speeds up and slows down with controls) So far i have checked fuses and all are fine. i noticed is my radiator fan does not turn on when i turn on the ac and second the AC compressor does not turn on at all. i checked the charge on the system and there is plenty of refrigerant. (70 degrees outside and ac charge is 100psi on low side since compressor is not running) I not 100% sure on how to check the radiator fan but if i unplug and plug back in the fan will run for a little bit and turn off.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated
    kyle

My Cars
    You don't know there's plenty of refrigerant. You THINK there is because you see pressure in the lines. Unless you recover the system with an AC machine, you really have no idea how much is in there. A proper recovery, evacuation, and recharge should be your first step. Followed by a diagnostic scan with a real BMW diag tool if the evac/recharge doesn't fix it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by 2011F10 View Post
    My problem is i turned my ac on and nothing happens. Hot air continues to blows out the vents. (blower motor works great speeds up and slows down with controls) So far i have checked fuses and all are fine. i noticed is my radiator fan does not turn on when i turn on the ac and second the AC compressor does not turn on at all. i checked the charge on the system and there is plenty of refrigerant. (70 degrees outside and ac charge is 100psi on low side since compressor is not running) I not 100% sure on how to check the radiator fan but if i unplug and plug back in the fan will run for a little bit and turn off.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated
    kyle
    Which vents are blowing hot air? There are defrost vents blowing toward the windshield, dash vents blowing at the front passengers upper torso, and floor vents blowing at your feet. Is hot air coming from all 3 locations?

If the hot air is coming from the dash vents only...have you moved the stratification dial on the dash's center vent from your winter setting (probably dialed into the red)? If not, regardless of what you set the temperature to on the control panel...as well as pressing the AC/snowflake button...only warmed air is going to blow from the dash vents as long as that dial is turned into the red. Move it toward neutral or into the blue if you want cooler air to blow from the dash vents.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You need to start with the correct ac service then move to step two