Thread: Pump fuel relay location - 328i

My Cars
    BMW 328i '13

Pump fuel relay location - 328i

Hello everyone!
    I have been lurking this forum for a couple of weeks now since I got my 2013 328i, and I decided to create my first thread today.

I'm trying to find the fuel pump relay location, but through the BMW catalog all I could find is this control unit for fuel pump. Is this the relay for this model or am I missing something? Where else could I look up this information, please?

Thank you everyone in advance for making this an awesome and helpful forum.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Look up new 'tis, Put the last seven of your vin in look at group 16 repair instructions I believe it's locatoted the rear seat passenger side if it was a coupe behind the rear seat side panel wear the arm rest is

My Cars
    BMW 328i '13
    Thanks!
    I'll look in the passenger rear seat seat side.
    This is the only thing I found that sounded more or less similar. It doesn't look like a standalone relay.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-pump/H8JJuScK

This is the one I'm interested on:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...relay/IKpT3rHy

My Cars
    BMW 328i '13
    Replying to myself. I don't know how I missed it, but there is an EBO (Installation Location) right in the parent website of the relay.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...relay/GNuFbxcE

So yes, the relay seems to be in the rear passenger side, under the shoulder area.

Thanks @jclausen ! Now I know how to find stuff

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    If this is a US spec Bimmer (turbo, direct injection), you've probably got the EKP/EKPS (first photo) rather than a relay. The EKP controls the pump speed and is known to overheat shutting down fuel supply causing engine to stall. EKP/EKPS allows pump to operate at variable volume based on fuel demand. A relay typically runs pump at full speed all the time.

My Cars
    BMW 328i '13
    You are correct. I missed the Engine classification in the wiring diagram.

This is the one I have:

My Cars
    BMW 328i '13
    Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    If this is a US spec Bimmer (turbo, direct injection), you've probably got the EKP/EKPS (first photo) rather than a relay. The EKP controls the pump speed and is known to overheat shutting down fuel supply causing engine to stall. EKP/EKPS allows pump to operate at variable volume based on fuel demand. A relay typically runs pump at full speed all the time.
    So I was doing this to set up an easy kill switch, and thought that by adding a switch to the Green with red wire it would work, but it did not.

image.png
    This is a 22 AWG with 0 V when car is off, and ~12V when car is on (even if ignition is off). This wire goes to the Front Electronic Module.

I'm trying not to cut into the higher current wires (14-16 AWG) like the fuse or pump itself, but I don't know which one is the right one.
    The other 22 AWG wires from this connector (red and blue with red) are constantly around ~2V, but I am not sure what their function is.

The picture below shows the connector pin assignments of the harness connected to the EKPS. Pin 13 is the wake-up from the Front Module I had added the switch to. For some reason, the EKPS still wakes up even with this disconnected...

yseVFVh.png

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Qqwpoid; 05-12-2019 at 06:40 PM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i E90 N52
    Just bought a 07 328i n52 motor, replaced fuel pump because of he usual crack up top. Replaced the driver side if that matters. Started up fine initially then started to ideal rough. Husband killed the car and now it won’t start. The fuel pump doesn’t engage when we try to start it but will intermittently when we open the door. We already primed the fuel line to get air out and it’s still not starting. We unhooked battery and that didn’t work either and we checked the fuse behind the glove box and it’s fine, we are thinking it’s the relay but for the life of us we can’t find the damn thing anywhere and there is no clear answer as to where it is located. Please help! We just spent a grand on new parts and this is supposed to be my car so I can give my mom my old one because hers is a death trap.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Did it run before you performed the work? If it did then a fuel line may be disconnected inside the fuel tank. The fuel pump is on the passenger's side. If you changed the drivers side part, that was the filter/pressure regulator, not the fuel pump. Check/confirm fuel pressure. There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail under the hood. Harbor freight has a $30 fuel pressure gage that will connect.

My Cars
    BMW 435D XDRIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Qqwpoid View Post
    So I was doing this to set up an easy kill switch, and thought that by adding a switch to the Green with red wire it would work, but it did not.

image.png
    This is a 22 AWG with 0 V when car is off, and ~12V when car is on (even if ignition is off). This wire goes to the Front Electronic Module.

I'm trying not to cut into the higher current wires (14-16 AWG) like the fuse or pump itself, but I don't know which one is the right one.
    The other 22 AWG wires from this connector (red and blue with red) are constantly around ~2V, but I am not sure what their function is.

The picture below shows the connector pin assignments of the harness connected to the EKPS. Pin 13 is the wake-up from the Front Module I had added the switch to. For some reason, the EKPS still wakes up even with this disconnected...

yseVFVh.png

Any ideas?
    Did you find out what it was which cable to slice for the kill switch? I am working on the same project.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrslong18 View Post
    Just bought a 07 328i n52 motor, replaced fuel pump because of he usual crack up top. Replaced the driver side if that matters. Started up fine initially then started to ideal rough. Husband killed the car and now it won’t start. The fuel pump doesn’t engage when we try to start it but will intermittently when we open the door. We already primed the fuel line to get air out and it’s still not starting. We unhooked battery and that didn’t work either and we checked the fuse behind the glove box and it’s fine, we are thinking it’s the relay but for the life of us we can’t find the damn thing anywhere and there is no clear answer as to where it is located. Please help! We just spent a grand on new parts and this is supposed to be my car so I can give my mom my old one because hers is a death trap.
    This is in the wrong model section.

-rb