Thread: Tranny calibration reset?

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech

Lightbulb Tranny calibration reset?

Don't worry, this is not one of those useless questions about ATC reset

I'm wondering about the adaptation (or calibration) that happens over time due to intenal wear/tear.

I'm having my 5HP24 tranny rebuild (orings, torque converter, clutches, VB pressure reg. valve)

So do we need to reset the calibration with GT1 after the rebuild? Or will it calibrate itself again over time? What do you guys recommend?

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    No they are not. I'm not talking about ATC (adaptive transmission control) as I've stated.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    The answer is YES, you need to reset adaptations before the first operation and drive. If you do not, the adaptations currently in the system will be far off what the trans is capable as a newly rebuilt trans and they may not be able to adjust enough, setting off Trans Failsafe error codes. You need to use INPA to delete the current adaptations (there may be other ways too). When you start driving it, start with slow accels through all the gears and then let it coast itself down to 1st, repeat with gradually increasing harder accels. Do this on a long lonely road if you can. Bring INPA (or any other program that can read and delete error codes) with you when you do this, the trans may still give you a TFS. Delete any error code (not the adaptations) and continue the accels. If any error code keeps repeating itself, then you probably have a problem with the rebuild or the Vale Body. If it goes away after one or two times, its just the computer learning things all over again. It will drive pretty funky for the first 50 miles or so, but as it learns the new you, it will settle down and work fine again.

As a guide with trans issues, if the issue is repeatable, it generally is a mechanical problem, if its sporadic, most likely electrical or control (Valve Body).
    Last edited by kouks; 05-08-2019 at 04:27 PM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    There's no other adaptation other than ATC. Sorry I didn't know what ATC stands for before. The only adaptations you can erase are those and the engine's, which both affect how the EGS "steers" the internals of the auto box re. ppressures, solenoids and such.
    well, the ATC I'm referring to is the tcu adapting itself according to your driving style (economy or sport etc) which resets everytime you start the car. that's not what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by TiesTorN; 05-09-2019 at 01:09 AM.

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    yes, I'm using inpa.

dme adaptations are getting erased AFAIK when I disconnect the battery anyway so no further action is necessary there. (which happened when they were installing the tranny)

thanks for clarification.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    disconnecting the battery doesnt reset the DME adaptations, theyre stored in non volatile memory

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    it does. whenever I check "adaptations" page after disconnecting battery, it shows the values defaulted. getting adjusted again after a while, unless I'm talking about something else. (I'm talking about the page which shows fuel trim and other stuff)

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    how do I delete egs adaptations with inpa? never seen such an option.

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    The EGS doesn't store EGS adaptations. Told you on the first post, you can only reset how the EGS/DME feedback loops leads the EGS o operate the different pressures and solenoids. By doing the pedal trick you basically tell both ECUs to "start a new conversation" or flip the page and have a fresh start one with another. Or, you can just clear engine adaptations and then do the pedal thing, or keep on tring not to do what I suggested but it's what you'll end up needing to do anyways. Also you could very well disregard my hands on experience and think you're right and keep on fiddling, googling or tinkering with INPA... It's your car after all
    I'm skeptical about this method because on this very same forum I read a lot about it being just a gimmick about changing the drive style adaptation, not really erasing permanent adaptations.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Quote Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post
    how do I delete egs adaptations with inpa? never seen such an option.
    Go to the transmission menu

Go to Activate

Option 3 is Reset Adaptions

Key should be in position 2, engine not running.

After you reset, turn it all off, go back to key position 2 and check that all the adaptions are zero. Start the car and start driving as I mentioned above.

Also, DME adaptions are not erased when you disconnect the battery. Only error codes are erased. You need to use INPA to do that also. However, you do not need to change the adaptions for the DME for a trans rebuild, only for an engine rebuild or valve job.
    Last edited by kouks; 05-19-2019 at 11:10 PM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)