Thread: Front end shaking past 50mph, traction strut bushings?

My Cars
    2000 740IL

Question Front end shaking past 50mph, traction strut bushings?

Hi, newbie BMW owner with a newbie question. For background, my automotive maintenance knowledge begins and ends at oil changes and tire rotations.

I just purchased a 2000 740iL with 110k miles on it for a very good price, since it was my boss's friend. Everything seemed to be in really good condition, and the mechanic that the seller had it tuned up at said that it was perfect and good to go. I drove it around and noticed that at 50mph, the car would start shaking, and the steering wheel would vibrate left and right quite violently. I researched a ton to see what the issue might have been, and I noticed that the oil filter housing was not secured properly, held together by zip ties and wires. I've read that this is a common issue, and I am planning on replacing the broken fasteners (rubber bushings?), and I believe this might also be the cause of a minor leak resulting in a few drops of oil under my car every morning.

I thought this was the problem causing the shaking, but I read further and someone on this forum said that a common issue at my mileage is failure of the traction strut arm bushings. I'm going to replace these as well as soon as I can.

Has anyone heard of this sort of issue, and can I have some input on my diagnosis? Is this a do-able repair for a novice with a repair manual and all the tools necessary?

Thanks very much for the input.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Very common issue, there are lots of threads. The replacement is DIY-able, although you may need a couple of specialized tools (pickle fork, ball-joint puller). Best to replace upper and lower control arms instead of trying to swap out the bushings, and do the tie-rod ends and steering center link as well, as the shaking quickly wears out all the rubber bushings when one thing starts to fail. Otherwise you'll replace one thing, the problem goes away for awhile, then starts again with the next component wearing out.

If the shaking is constant while driving, it may be a balance issue with the wheels/tires, or less likely (but still possible) an issue with the brake rotors and pads. If the shaking is only under braking, or gets much worse with braking, it is likely the control arm bushings, with the tie-rod ends and center link as secondary culprits. But as mentioned they may all be worn to some degree.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    There's an order to try things - starting with the tyres - all explained here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_Shimmy.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Very common issue, there are lots of threads. The replacement is DIY-able, although you may need a couple of specialized tools (pickle fork, ball-joint puller). Best to replace upper and lower control arms instead of trying to swap out the bushings, and do the tie-rod ends and steering center link as well, as the shaking quickly wears out all the rubber bushings when one thing starts to fail. Otherwise you'll replace one thing, the problem goes away for awhile, then starts again with the next component wearing out.

If the shaking is constant while driving, it may be a balance issue with the wheels/tires, or less likely (but still possible) an issue with the brake rotors and pads. If the shaking is only under braking, or gets much worse with braking, it is likely the control arm bushings, with the tie-rod ends and center link as secondary culprits. But as mentioned they may all be worn to some degree.
    Incredibly useful info. I was wondering about that sort of "whats the next step" deal, because I know there's always something that'll be on the way out next. I'll do a little bit more testing, especially with braking as you mentioned, to narrow down what the issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    There's an order to try things - starting with the tyres - all explained here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_Shimmy.htm
    Instantly bookmarked. I'll be going over this with a fine-tooth comb. This is a perfect source of information, thank you so much.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    If you plan on keeping the car for a long time I would just use this as an excuse to do a proper overhaul of the front suspension and the center link with its various components. I'm getting ready for this job in the near future as I have a vibration at all speeds that is independent of the brakes. Only use Lemforder parts from either pelicanparts.com or FCPeuro.com . Good luck!
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero32 View Post
    If you plan on keeping the car for a long time I would just use this as an excuse to do a proper overhaul of the front suspension and the center link with its various components.
    Will do. Not very experienced so my next step is to figure out what parts/kit I need to order to do all that. I'll peep at some tutorials to get an idea! Thanks!

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Alright, well I ended up getting the lower arms replaced, and it was actually completely fine for a while. I got up to 75mph for the first time ever. Sadly it didn't last long. Just yesterday the problem came back, but worse. Now I can't go above 40 without it wobbling/shimmying more violently than ever.

Planning on getting an alignment this week to see if that solves it, and I'm going to try and see if I need hub rings, but I'm not sure how to find that out yet.

One last question for now, if I get it aligned and it still isn't fixed, and I end up replacing the upper arms and bushes, will I have to get it re-aligned?

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    If the arms are pretty shot the alignment could end up being off after replacing them (as things would have been possibly shifted out of place a little when the alignment was done).

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Got it, very good to know. Now to decide if this whole ordeal is still worth the hassle or if I'm better off selling LOL. Seriously appreciate the help.

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Koutavi View Post
    Alright, well I ended up getting the lower arms replaced, and it was actually completely fine for a while. I got up to 75mph for the first time ever. Sadly it didn't last long. Just yesterday the problem came back, but worse. Now I can't go above 40 without it wobbling/shimmying more violently than ever.

Planning on getting an alignment this week to see if that solves it, and I'm going to try and see if I need hub rings, but I'm not sure how to find that out yet.

One last question for now, if I get it aligned and it still isn't fixed, and I end up replacing the upper arms and bushes, will I have to get it re-aligned?

When you installed the arms did you make sure the the thrust arms were at the cars natural ride height before you tightened them down? If you tighten them way out of position, it's possible that you ruined the bushings in them causing the same problem to come back.

My Cars
    see my signature
    Might be an interesting read for you Koutavi...just for some perspective.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lly-a-BAD-IDEA
    2006 R53 JCW (British Racing Green) - 1994 E31 840Ci 6spd (AVUS Blue)
    2021 F56 JCW (Rebel Green) - 2000 E38 740i Sport (Titanium Silver)
    2017 F26 X4 M40i (Carbon Black) - 2007 E91 328iT (Deep Green)
    2012 E82 135i M Sport (Marrakesh Brown) - 2015 E84 X1 (Cashmere Silver)
    2005 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Kalahari Beige) - 2000 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2000 E38 740i Sport (Oxford Green) - 1999 E36 M3 Coupe (Fern Green)
    1995 E31 840Ci Canadian (Oxford Green) - 2000 E36/8 M Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2004 E46 330Ci (Oxford Green) - 2001 E36/8 Z3 3.0i Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2002 E39 525i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2002 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2001 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2007 E63 M6 (Silver Grey)
    1995 E31 840Ci (Oxford Green) - 2006 E86 M Coupe (Sepang Bronze)
    2001 E39 530i Sport (Aspen Silver) - 2009 E92 M3 (Space Grey)
    2001 E38 740i Sport (Sahara Beige) - 2008 E92 M3 (Melbourne Red)
    2000 E38 740i Sport Canadian (Sahara Beige) - 1997 E31 850Ci (Jet Black)

My Cars
    williamgratzl
    Ive been reading a lot of posts addressing the common front end shimmy/vibration but have yet to narrow down the cause. I have a 2003 540 sport that when I first drive the car, the shimmy begins at around 65 mph and gets worse when brakes are applied.. It stops above 75. The issue I have is that after the car has been driven for awhile, the problem decreases or sometimes goes away altogether.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    citationav8r:

It's really not that mysterious. Vibrations over 50 mph almost always point to wheel/tire issues. Your description is spot on for such trouble. In order of importance, you need 1) a good wheel balance service, 2) new tires or, 3) wheel repair or replacement.

P.S.: Judging by your handle, I'd say you're a Citation pilot. Cool. You might get similar wheel/tire vibrations at Vr. I sense them when I fly commercially too.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com