Thread: Random electrical problem

My Cars
    E34 525i sport

Random electrical problem

Any help would be much appreciated with this.

I've got an e34 95 525i and for a while the lcd display has been going nuts apart from when I first start it in the morning, from what I've read I assume that's the capacitors.

The new problem is more of a headache and I can't find anything on the Internet like it. When I close my drivers door (or just press the little door jamb button) the main beam comes on and the indicators, lights, fogs won't work, when the door is open everything works as it should.

I've checked the wiring under both fuse boxes and looks fine, I've checked the continuity of the door switch wire from the switch to the pin at the general module and that's fine, had the lcm out and checked solder for cracks and that looks good.

I was thinking it must be a short with the door jamb triggering the main beam and cutting out the indicators and the rest, the indicators don't show on the dash either.

Anyone had anything like this?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Hello and welcome!

No, that's a new one, but it sounds like other gremlins I've had that were caused by a bad General Module. To (somewhat) rule out other possibilities, unplug the GM and see if the issue persists. The car should start, run, and drive without it, and the lights should work without it too.

Does your car have an alarm system?

My Cars
    E34 525i sport
    Thanks I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes, no there's no alarm on it. Hoping it is though I've just looked and they're pretty cheap to replace

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Weird issue. I can't see how the front headlights are connected to the body control/general module but I can see how the indicators and door switch might be. I have an aftermarket alarm installed 12 years ago - it's compulsory to have an immobilser here and the installers didn't hook up the alarm part. They just used the legally required immobiliser circuit and added remote central locking
    My problem was last year when I needed new remotes as the 12 y/o ones were falling apart. To program replacement remotes I needed to hook up the alarm part to the driver's door switch - as that has to be sensed to be open to get into programming mode.

Ever since I've connected that door switch earth wire if I lock the car/activate the alarm with the indicator switch still on the alarm goes off, as it earths through the body/general model under the back seat. Took me by suprise a few times when I indicated into a parking bay and the indicator was still up or down as it hadn't self cancelled by straightening up the wheels.
    So I know the door switch and indicators are linked somehow in the general/body module.
    Last edited by fo3; 05-05-2019 at 02:57 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Broken wires between A-pillar and driver side door?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E34 525i sport
    OK so tried it without the general module and still the same, tried unplugging the door jamb switch and it acts as if the door jamb switch is pressed (main beam on, no indicators etc).

Hi shogun, yes I was thinking broken wire but the only wire I can find on the schematic involving the door jamb goes from the button to pin 15 on the GM, checked continuity with a multimeter between pin 15 and the connector to the door jamb switch and the reading is 0.

So I was thinking is it happening after the GM, i.e the door jamb button is pressed telling the GM the door is closed then the GM sends whatever signals it does when the door is closed and at this point somewhere along the line there's a broken wire which is changing the signal to turn on main beam and is stopping any other lights working. The problem is I don't know what signals the GM sends out when the drivers door is closed, the schematic just seems to relate the door jamb switch to the interior lights and they work fine no matter what.

Thanks for the replies guy's I'm stumped

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Crash control module working ok? I know it interfaces with the high beam relay in the LKM.
    demet

My Cars
    E34 525i sport
    Demetk I saw that too, I went to pull it but it doesn't have one so whoever owned it before must have took it out, I assumed because it has been fine for the 4 years I've owned it and this problem has only just started it can't be related to the crash control module and it not having one hasn't been a problem. I'm just about to start following the high beam wires from the dash and the lkm to check continuity because I'm thinking if it's not the door jamb wire that's the problem the only other logical wires to check next is high beam because they're being affected and if there are broken/touching wires then it should involve these.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Hi Rob, Derby, is that in England? Is there a spot for the crash relay in the e-box? Not sure if you can just pull the relay out and have the high beams and hazards still work. I had to jump the relay holder to get my lights to work again.
    demet

My Cars
    E34 525i sport
    Continuity of high beam wire between cluster and stalk is good. Demetk, sorry mate I was wrong it does have the crash control module its just in a different place to where I thought it was, pulled it and when I shut the door, high beam still comes on, pulled the lkm and obviously no high beams but when I shut the door it still kills the indicators so still having the same effect.

Could this be a ground issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes mate derby in England, yeah like I said mate sorry it does have the crash module, pulled it, no indicators but when the door jamb switch it pressed it still turns on high beams so I'm thinking we can rule that out, running out of ideas fast.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Quote Originally Posted by E34rob View Post
    Could this be a ground issue?
    It has to be IMO. Most circuits in the BMW are hot looking for a ground: as like the example I gave, my door switches will ground via the body/general module to the indicators if left on to set my alarm off.
    Start with the basics, all chassis and engine grounds, under dash grounds, even bulbs etc. After that it might be dash cluster grounds but it might be worth checking obvious or easily visable wiring runs for shorts at tension/friction/heat points or joins etc before taking the dash apart or inspecting PCBs and the like for grounds (E: although the dash problems you have - that you assume are unrelated- seem interesting to me. Not interesting enough to catch a plane over to see ).
    Last edited by fo3; 05-05-2019 at 12:03 PM.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Did this start happening after you lifted the rear seat by any chance?

My Cars
    E34 525i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    Not interesting enough to catch a plane over to see ).
    Haha you sure I could do with the help. Ive completely disconnected the dash and it still puts the high beams on when I shut the door so I assumed it was unrelated. While I was checking the high beam wire under the dash I thought I might as well check the grounds but somebody must have routed them somewhere else (maybe when changing the stereo or something) but the two bolts that the schematic shows should have grounds connected have nothing connected to them.

Whiskychaser no it happened when I went to the shop, got back in the car shut the door and saw my high beam lights were on because I was parked behind a van. The only thing is it was raining pretty hard. Funny thing though, that night I went to play pool and everything worked perfectly, even the dash. But after that it's all gone mental

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Next time you have the back seat up, maybe check if you have a microswitch on top of the battery cover? It is part of the security system. Had a similar problem some years back after charging the battery though I didn't try starting the car. After I held the switch closed and reconnected, all was well. Oddly, I could not replicate the problem later though I think it may have something to do with the position of the door locks.

This might sound like another random question but are the window switches lit and do they work?

My Cars
    E34 525i sport
    Mine hasn't got a battery cover, I haven't noticed a switch but I'll have a look. The passenger switch is a bit dodgy but they do work, tbh I haven't noticed if they're lit

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    Hi Rob, Derby, is that in England? Is there a spot for the crash relay in the e-box? Not sure if you can just pull the relay out and have the high beams and hazards still work. I had to jump the relay holder to get my lights to work again.
    Hey demetk,

Upon investigating/researching and trying to wrap my head around my 2 primary issues in my 530, I stumble upon this post; where you mentioned both of said issues (among others) that I just can't seem to put a finger on. Those 2 issues being NON-working high-beam headlights; and, as well NON-working hazards!!

A) When you say you jumped the relay holder, did it fix both issues for you?
    B) I'm familiar with jumping a simple connection/switch...but not a relay. I suppose I could bang my head against a simple schematic for -too long. But, could you show me your ways? Lol. What terminal areas you jumped to from where to which from each other to the next, and stuff... Which way is up? (It's the little things in life that make it...spicy) Forgive me. Thank you please!

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    You can find the thread on my hazards problem and the fix here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ds-misbehaving
    demet