Thread: Recommend valve cover

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i Sedan

Recommend valve cover

So I’m pretty sure my valve cover is causing my erratic idle and lean codes. I am going to replace it but genuine bmw is a bit out of my price range. So please don’t post if you going to simply say only go genuine. My questions is has anyone had good experiences with after market ones? I have seen viaco, uro I’m just looking for what people have experienced. Thanks everyone

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Put it this way you can't go wrong with the oem part for this repair, but use what you want and hopefully it all works out. But it would be nice to know that this would solve your problem for sure

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    You almost can't go wrong buying the $165 ones you can find online vs. the $550 OEM unit, as long as it's from a reputable vendor.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    No to URO.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    1. How are you "pretty sure"? Have you smoke tested?
    2. Where are you seeing those prices? I see $270 for off-brand and $430 for OEM, hardly even a question at that difference.
    Last edited by relative4; 05-04-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i Sedan
    Thank you old525i and Critter7r. I’d like to use OEM but even 160 is a big difference in paying for parts I just need to see if I can keep it running without each fix revealing another issue.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    If your hope is to minimize expenses, replacing expensive parts based on incomplete diagnosis is not the best route to your goal.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i Sedan
    I came on here asking for help, if anyone had experience with aftermarket parts not to be chastised about using genuine bmw parts. You make comments like how are you “pretty sure” and saying things like incomplete diagnostic. Pretty sure means I’m not 100% but maybe I want to do it to see if it fixes it and maybe other issues I have, I didn’t answer your question because it wasn’t relevant to what I was asking. I have a vacuum leak somewhere causing my lean codes and erratic idle, oil seeping from the valve cover onto my manifold and with the mileage and it being plastic I’d like to replace it if it is broken. Now I’m not a BMW trained master mechanic, but I’m not ignorant either
    Last edited by BARNEY2008; 05-04-2019 at 10:14 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    My point is some times factory is the way to go because there will be no surprises, some times after market parts just are not made very well and you don't want to find this out after finishing your job. And of course there are different levels of quality of after market parts. So shop wisely. But don't get fired up, just relax

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i Sedan
    That’s why I had asked because I know I’m not the only one who would go this direction or who already had. My rant so to say was when people get one here and rather than help with a question they ask questions or say things that make a person seem ignorant. Most questions asked are for a reason. we don’t know each other or what are skill levels are and people may not go in-depth about how they came up with the question or diagnosis and why not be helpful if we have been there or have something relevant to say

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Given URO Parts valve cover 11 12 7 552 281 gets stellar reviews on Amazon, it's worth considering - especially since the OEM one isn't exactly known for longevity.
    URO Parts 11 12 7 552 281 Valve Cover

The single poor review blames a vacuum leak on one of the bolts, which makes no sense since the gasket does the sealing, not the bolts. More than likely there was a bit of engine grime under the gasket, and (without realizing it) the gentleman cleaned away the debris while successfully reinstalling the cover.

We also test-fit a cover from one of our competitors and won't name names for legal reasons, but were surprised how poorly the competitor's cover fit compared to ours. We didn't run their cover on an engine, and can't speak to its performance.

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by BARNEY2008 View Post
    So I’m pretty sure my valve cover is causing my erratic idle and lean codes. I am going to replace it but genuine bmw is a bit out of my price range. So please don’t post if you going to simply say only go genuine. My questions is has anyone had good experiences with after market ones? I have seen viaco, uro I’m just looking for what people have experienced. Thanks everyone
    First time, I just replaced the gasket around the valve cover and it lasted 20-35k miles. It was leaking oil towards the back of the engine. The second time, the PCV valve located close to cylinders 5 and 6 failed, so it was time for a new valve cover. That cured a lot of other issues, such as oil leaks everywhere due to excessive crankcase pressure. I went OEM, since didn't want to risk having to redo it again. I understand wanting to save some money. But sometimes you spend too much when you go too cheap.

For example, the valley pan gasket in a 740i: I replaced it with a URO part. It lasted a week and lost all the BMW coolant. Had to redo it, this time with a BMW OEM part. So far it has been two years, but worth every penny.

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Hi Old525i, when you replaced the OE valley pan gasket the first time, did you replace just the gasket, or also the valley pan at the same time?

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Barney,
    People are only responding here because they wish to help in some manner.
    The questions are there (largely) to help find the root cause of the issue, prior to seeing you spend the money on 'hoping'.
    You're only going to get the answer you want if you pay for it.

Why not accept the questions of those who wish to help, while ignoring that which is from the (minority) donkeys?

That said, my opinion is, highly reviewed after-market is fine for something like this.
    FCP Euro's lifetime warranty is pretty hard (impossible) to beat.

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by URO Parts View Post
    Hi Old525i, when you replaced the OE valley pan gasket the first time, did you replace just the gasket, or also the valley pan at the same time?
    The gasket and valley pan were sold as one item: the gasket was adhered to the valley pan.

See here: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/11141742042HP

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    ^ That's very strange, Old525i. The URO Parts pan improves upon the original design with the addition of a "lip" on the edge of the flange that physically prevents the gasket from being expelled by coolant pressure, and we use a molded Viton gasket that's a superior material and more consistent width and thickness than the original RTV gasket that's just squirted on by a machine. The only cases of leakage we've heard is when there was some original gasket material remaining on the sealing surface, which can create a leak path between uneven leftover material and the new gasket. But if the old gasket material is completely removed, it's hard to imagine how the new seal could leak, given the way it's trapped in place and better material and shape than OEM. We're happy to take care of you though. If you didn't return the pan for a refund, please send an email with your purchase details to "sales at uro parts dot com" (remove spaces) and we can ship you some other item(s) you could use to reimburse you for the purchase.

Here's a PDF showing photos and details of our upgraded pan: https://www.uroparts.com/uro/picture...1742042prm.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by URO Parts; 05-08-2019 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    ^Will do, thanks for your help.

My Cars
    1994 325ic, 2012 328ic,
    I'm all for saving on cars and have had both good and bad experience with cheap parts. Rock Auto has been great but now FCPeuro is my go to stop. What you buy is once and done including oil changes. Returns are easy. Customer Service is fast and painless.
    I've had good results with Uro parts. The Only ones I know that redesigned the valley pan in a way that makes sense. I haven't installed mine yet. I feel confident it will last.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Quote Originally Posted by URO Parts View Post
    ^ That's very strange, Old525i. The URO Parts pan improves upon the original design with the addition of a "lip" on the edge of the flange that physically prevents the gasket from being expelled by coolant pressure, and we use a molded Viton gasket that's a superior material and more consistent width and thickness than the original RTV gasket that's just squirted on by a machine. The only cases of leakage we've heard is when there was some original gasket material remaining on the sealing surface, which can create a leak path between uneven leftover material and the new gasket. But if the old gasket material is completely removed, it's hard to imagine how the new seal could leak, given the way it's trapped in place and better material and shape than OEM. We're happy to take care of you though. If you didn't return the pan for a refund, please send an email with your purchase details to "sales at uro parts dot com" (remove spaces) and we can ship you some other item(s) you could use to reimburse you for the purchase.

Here's a PDF showing photos and details of our upgraded pan: https://www.uroparts.com/uro/picture...1742042prm.pdf

Appreciate your measured and helpful response URO Parts.
    Will include looking at your site/parts during future purchases.
    It's always nice when designs are improved upon when possible.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 528i
    I replaced the valve cover on my 2011 328i because it had a broken PCV diaphragm. Symptom was a weak whining / wheezing that would stop when I opened the oil fill cap. The cap was also being sucked closed and hard to open at idle. I took the PCV apart and verified a broken diaphragm.

Bought a URO cover on Amazon and did a very thorough side-by-side inspection with the OE cover. It appeared identical, down to the casting lines and marks.

The new cover fit perfectly, but we still have a slight wheeze / whine at idle and the oil fill cap is still slightly sucked closed (hard to open at idle).
    Question for URO Parts - Any suggestion on how to stop this whine / wheeze?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330i
    I purchased this one from fcpeuro.com OEM quality

BMW Valve Cover - Genuine BMW 11127565284
    $392

My Cars
    09 328xi
    Hey Barney,

I just saw this thread and was curious how you made out. What brand did you purchase and how did it work out for you?
    Thanks

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by BARNEY2008 View Post

My curiosity is piqued by your conclusion that the valve cover is the source of your lean condition. I cannot see how that could be true.

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mrshaky View Post
    Question for URO Parts - Any suggestion on how to stop this whine / wheeze?
    Just saw this post, we actually sent a warranty replacement cover to MrShaky back in July of 2019, which is around the same time we did some fine-tuning to the spring rate in the PCV valve in the cover.