Thread: Question about Valvetronic Motor

My Cars
    E46 E39

Question about Valvetronic Motor

I am helping a friend on his 07 530i. We are replacing the valve cover gasket. Along with that, we will need to remove the Valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft sensor.

In there a special way of removing the motor and putting it back in? Is it just as simple as removing the 2 mounting screws, replace the gasket and insert the motor back in???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It's my understanding that it just get put back in but don't force it

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    Yes it's that simple, getting to it is a different story :-)

My Cars
    E46 E39
    Is a reset/re-learn necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Nope! Install it, and move on. It will learn itself just by turning the key on when you go to start it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    there are three screws holding it in. remove the one you cannot see first. then with one hand hold down on motor and remove the other two. motor should easily come out or pop up after that. install is just like was said earlier. install it and gently push it into position hold it down and put screws in two visibal ones first, then back one. 10nm.

as for the position sensor, after you get valve cover off you will see the sensor held in with 3 mounting screws. one passes through the guide for chain. Take extra caution not to drop the screws into oil pan down front of motor. Also DO NOT place sensor next to anything magnetic or let it pick up particles. make sure magnet on end of shaft is clear of any metal or such that can get stuck to it.

have fun
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 528i LCI
    Had to remove mine recently while replacing the valve cover gasket and other gaskets. I was skeptical about the disassembly and reassembly of the valvetronic servo motor too.
    It is as simple as it seems.

Remove the 3 screws while applying pressure against the valvetronic. Release pressure and it will spring back and can be easily removed.
    When reinstalling, apply pressure and install the screws.

My Cars
    1999 E46
    There is a hole at the back of the motor which takes an Allen key. You're supposed to wind the motor into the service position so the eccentric shaft does not snap back when the worm gear is removed.

When I replaced mine it did not relearn the end stops. I was getting errors until I ran the relearn procedure.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWEire View Post
    There is a hole at the back of the motor which takes an Allen key. You're supposed to wind the motor into the service position so the eccentric shaft does not snap back when the worm gear is removed.

When I replaced mine it did not relearn the end stops. I was getting errors until I ran the relearn procedure.

removed hundreds if not thousands and never had a valve tronic error and we didnt turn the motor out with allen key. if you have key off while working on car (you probably should) then when you get done and turn car to run you should hear the motors do a relearn and hit both end stops.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    08-E60-528i
    When you removed the two screws, did you remove the gasket screws first or those last (The outer edge screws that are on the outside rim of the gasket)? A month ago I replaced the valvetronic (eccentric) gasket and it started to leak again so I need to redo the gasket, I am guessing it was a bad seal or I might have not screwed them on tight enough that would cause the leak again.