Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite time/place to drive your Z3?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster

Your favorite time/place to drive your Z3?

I didn't see a thread like this during a cursory search, so I thought I'd start one...

What's your favorite time (of day, year, whatever) and/or place
    (specific location, general type of road, etc.) to drive your Z3?

For me, it's simple. I cannot fully explain it, but I love having the top down on my roadster late at night during any hot month.

I live in the US northeast, and there is something exhilarating and free--almost defiant--in my demeanor when this happens. Perhaps its the combination of an open car, nearly empty roads and doing something very few others are doing. Maybe even a little risk, as many view night driving with trepidation, especially if you are in unfamiliar areas without the protection of an enclosed car. Certainly, having the temps cool from the 90s down to the 70s and being able to enjoy a cooler breeze and clear sky is part of it.

As much as I look forward to Spring bringing greenery and the return of birds and other wildlife, I probably am most keen on getting out in an open car.

What's your thrill?
    Brad

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Even though I don't have a roadster, I also live in the Philly area and have had many awesome top down experiences in the summer back when my best friend had an MG and 560SL that we would always cruise in. My favorite times are late at night, because when I first bought mine I was working at starbucks and had to drive in to open at 5am most mornings when the roads were desolate but it was perfect for winding the car out.

Fall days and sundays are also great times. My GF and I often just go for a drive somewhere as something to do on Sundays if we dont have anything planned. I'm over in Wyndmoor/Chestnut Hill what about you?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Right now, top down through the mountains on a Spring morning. Actually, on my way shortly.

And I'm with you on the hot nights, top down. Any speed is good, even just cruising through town around 25-30.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    The Salt River Canyon or Wickenberg to Prescott.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Old Squaw Pass up to the top of Mt Evans is always a great ride/drive as is bouncing over Loveland or Guenella or Cottonwood or up on Grand Mesa and lets not forget the Colorado National Monument and the Puder Canyon and the Peak to Peak and not to be out done going over the top of Trail Ridge ........................... But if I had to pick one close road is Lookout Mt Road but I digress as Clear creek and Deer Creek with a stop at Red Rocks is always good to!!! And I haven't even got warmed up!!!!

There all good

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I'm with you on summer nights.

My favorite very specific place is highway 276 near the NC/SC border. It's about a 1 hour drive from the factory and it feels like the car was made for this road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0992....6248366,14.2z
    Last edited by pine1000; 05-03-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ihm96 View Post
    I'm over in Wyndmoor/Chestnut Hill what about you?
    I'm in Media. Maybe I'll see you at a GTG or on the road!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    I'm with you on summer nights.

My favorite very specific place is highway 276 near the NC/SC border. It's about a 1 hour drive from the factory and it feels like the car was made for this road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0992....6248366,14.2z
    My folks live in Asheville...if I ever take the Z3 down there, I'll give it a go (actually, maybe I'll try it out in my Golf R in July!).

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    On the 19th Im headed up to Lehigh Valley Cars and Coffee. I'll be caravaning with a CLA45, E55 and a WRX most likely. Its a pretty diverse show

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    I'm in Media. Maybe I'll see you at a GTG or on the road!

- - - Updated - - -

My folks live in Asheville...if I ever take the Z3 down there, I'll give it a go (actually, maybe I'll try it out in my Golf R in July!).

My Cars
    z3
    Summer nights in the city

Or spring, daytime, miles from anything on some curvy backroads

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Going to the sun road anytime it’s open. I’m driving the talimena skyway the end of the month.

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster
    I thoroughly enjoy every moment in this car, rain or shine. The top down night drive is awesome as others say.

I even enjoy 5 mph in stop and go traffic listen to tunes with the top down. I love that moment traffic opens up and I take off leaving everyone in the dust.

I have a '99 hard top and it looks really cool but I love hearing the exhaust through the uninsulated soft top. Car is in it's element top down, no doubt.

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    I guess I am in the minority. I live in Maine, there is not a straight road to be found in my area, lots of fun. I am awake at 5:30 every morning and I like to take an early morning cruise with my Coupe before the other folks are out and on the road, especially during tourist season. The tourists take over the roads by 10 and that is my cue to be home.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BUCK57 View Post
    Old Squaw Pass up to the top of Mt Evans is always a great ride/drive as is bouncing over Loveland or Guenella or Cottonwood or up on Grand Mesa and lets not forget the Colorado National Monument and the Puder Canyon and the Peak to Peak and not to be out done going over the top of Trail Ridge ........................... But if I had to pick one close road is Lookout Mt Road but I digress as Clear creek and Deer Creek with a stop at Red Rocks is always good to!!! And I haven't even got warmed up!!!!

There all good
    Back in my college days I used to race myself (time) from my house in Golden to the top of Lookout Mountain. Freshman year was a 1989 325i. Sophomore year was a 1988 535i. Not enough power in either, but so much fun. I finally got the right car Senior year. My 535i was just totaled by hail. I was driving a 1991 Bronco in its place. I found a mint 1994 E34 M5 on Roadfly and sent the ad to my father and asked for a loan. He agreed and I booked a one way ticket to El Paso and drove the car home to Denver. That car had plenty of power for those mountain passes.

Kenosha Pass is another great drive. Or Independence Pass en route to Aspen. Too many good ones here.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-06-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 5sp
    Any time, any place, for any reason. However, the headlights are so poor, nighttime driving requires a lot of attention out where we have a lot of deer. I’ve been ruined by lots of cars with HID, and now my ‘18 Audi SQ5 with LED headlights.
    ‘98 Z3 2.8 roadster, Montrealblau/tan 5sp, M50 manifold, AFE intake, SuperSprint catback, Bilsteins, BAVAuto sport springs, Style 42 BBS

My Cars
    ...it depands
    I really enjoy the night drive which is the reason I retrofitted bi-xenon, especially a night drive to a little place called Moonlight Beach in a town called Encinitas (preferably near full moon, of course)...
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Just upgrade to angel eyes with LEDs, its pretty common and then you'll have modern visibility

Quote Originally Posted by fignewton View Post
    Any time, any place, for any reason. However, the headlights are so poor, nighttime driving requires a lot of attention out where we have a lot of deer. I’ve been ruined by lots of cars with HID, and now my ‘18 Audi SQ5 with LED headlights.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    The North Carolina Spring (or fall).

An open country road south of Charlotte - that I have never been on before.

Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

I smile the whole time.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2.5i
    In the fall, top down, when the leaves start to turn. Nothing like a 360 degree view of the fall foliage.
    It's not the years in your life that counts, it the life in your years...

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I didn't see a thread like this during a cursory search, so I thought I'd start one...

What's your favorite time (of day, year, whatever) and/or place
    (specific location, general type of road, etc.) to drive your Z3?

For me, it's simple. I cannot fully explain it, but I love having the top down on my roadster late at night during any hot month.

I live in the US northeast, and there is something exhilarating and free--almost defiant--in my demeanor when this happens. Perhaps its the combination of an open car, nearly empty roads and doing something very few others are doing. Maybe even a little risk, as many view night driving with trepidation, especially if you are in unfamiliar areas without the protection of an enclosed car. Certainly, having the temps cool from the 90s down to the 70s and being able to enjoy a cooler breeze and clear sky is part of it.

As much as I look forward to Spring bringing greenery and the return of birds and other wildlife, I probably am most keen on getting out in an open car.

What's your thrill?
    Brad
    Same as you Brad. Daytimes in Summer are too hot, but dusk and night drives are awesome. Also Spring and Fall can be great too.

Are you a ZSCCA or BMWCCA member?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    An open country road south of Charlotte - that I have never been on before.
    I live south of Charlotte, there are literally no good roads south of Charlotte. Go west young man...

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Same as you Brad. Daytimes in Summer are too hot, but dusk and night drives are awesome. Also Spring and Fall can be great too.

Are you a ZSCCA or BMWCCA member?
    I joined ZSCCA for a year, after buying my Z3 in early 2017, but didn't have any opportunity to hook up on any drives. My daughter leaves for college in August, and I hope to be able to take some roadtrips with my wife, so I may join again.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I joined ZSCCA for a year, after buying my Z3 in early 2017, but didn't have any opportunity to hook up on any drives. My daughter leaves for college in August, and I hope to be able to take some roadtrips with my wife, so I may join again.
    Cool to know. The BMW CCA is holding a Mini-Vintage at Zyggy's farm in Doylestown this Saturday. Even though it's a club event it's open to all.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Damn I saw that and would love to go, but I'll be working all day :-(

Sunday I'll be at Lehigh Cars and Coffee though

Cool to know. The BMW CCA is holding a Mini-Vintage at Zyggy's farm in Doylestown this Saturday. Even though it's a club event it's open to all.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Dang. I was up near Doylestown last weekend (camping in Upper Black Eddy, PA). This Saturday I'll be manning the smoker; I have three racks of ribs for my daughter's upcoming graduation party!

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Summer at night with the top down on the interstate. I am light sensitive and I'm not a fan of sweating.

Stubbornness is a virtue....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast