Thread: New to me E36, please help with convertible top issue.

My Cars
    E36 328

New to me E36, please help with convertible top issue.

Hey guys, my name is Mike and I'm a long time BMW fan. I previously had a 335 E92 M-sport FBO/Tuned and now have a X3 F25 M-sport. A few days ago I was able to score a sweet deal on a 1997 BMW 328IC. I really wanted a E30, but this was too good to pass up. This car has 52,000 Miles on it .. I love the classy drop top. I will post some pictures of it later.

Issue...

The convertible top does not work when I press the button. I looked into the trunk and both motors were disengaged so I popped them back in and the top still did not move. I tried to reset it.. my top is fully automatic, so I disengaged both motors, then I used an allen wrench to unlock it and lowered the top into the storage bin. I engaged both motors back in and closed the storage lid and tried the reset trick with holding the close button and turning key to 2nd position and NOTHING. Top did not restart its close procedure, all I hear it a mechanical click, but top is not coming up.

Please anyone help me!

My Cars
    1994 325ic, 2012 328ic,
    I don't know the fully auto top. There is a section just for convertible specific questions and info. Repost and check there.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    You sure both motors clicked back in? Are rods still connected and not bent? If it’s making noise then fuse by the battery must be good. When you hold the button with ignition on the lid should shut down first. You should at least get that. Nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    If you engaged both motors and you hear a mechanical clicking or "machine gun" sound, the gearing in the tonneau motor was worn and are not meshing. A common issue when the tonneau and top collide. The gears slip and wear each other into a conical shape.

My Cars
    E36 328
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    If you engaged both motors and you hear a mechanical clicking or "machine gun" sound, the gearing in the tonneau motor was worn and are not meshing. A common issue when the tonneau and top collide. The gears slip and wear each other into a conical shape.
    The gears on the roof motors are still in good shape what seems. Should I be hearing the motors start turning?

Also my lid doesn’t close either when I do the reset procedure

Quote Originally Posted by verobeach97 View Post
    You sure both motors clicked back in? Are rods still connected and not bent? If it’s making noise then fuse by the battery must be good. When you hold the button with ignition on the lid should shut down first. You should at least get that. Nothing?
    Yes 100% sure, what rods do you speak of? When I hold the top button down and switch the ignition the lid does not close, which is weird because it should at least do that. What happens though is there is a noise kinda like an engine trying to crank but very faint.

My Cars
    E36 328
    Anyway to tell if motors are working ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 328
    Still can't figure this out..

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    The plate that holds the tonneau motor ( located by drivers rear fender) can get bent , this will cause the gears to not engage correctly .
    Try removing the motor and plate and checking for distortion .

My Cars
    E36 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Csrracer View Post
    The plate that holds the tonneau motor ( located by drivers rear fender) can get bent , this will cause the gears to not engage correctly .
    Try removing the motor and plate and checking for distortion .
    How would I tell if its distorted? Could the cables be stretched out and not pulling the lock in correctly?

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    There is some adjustments at the locks , if you think that's what the issue is. Taking the motor out is fairly easy it will be obvious once it's out if the mounting plate is bent. Also a good time to check that the gear isn't stripped.
    Keep searching all the treads here, good chance you'll find your answers and don't be afraid to start turning a wrench or two.