Thread: BMW Engine Seized Up After Service - 2013 X3

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3 28i

BMW Engine Seized Up After Service - 2013 X3

Our mechanic had recommended that we take our 2013 BMW X3 in for a replacement of the Oil Filter Stand Gasket. After saving up some money, we took the car in on Monday. There were no system or warning lights indicating that anything was wrong, but two separate mechanics had agreed that this work needed to be done. The mechanic did the following:

1. Replace Valve Cover Gasket
    2. Replace Spark Plugs
    3. Replace Oil Filter Stand Gasket
    4. Replace Drive Belt

We picked the car up on Wednesday, and drove it straight home (4-5 miles). On Thursday, we had to travel, and drove the car about 140 miles at highway speed (80 mph) before the engine seized up. An oil pressure warning light went on, as well as the "Drive Train Malfunction" notification, but both alerts came just as the engine started knocking and it was clear that there was a problem. Until the moment the engine seized, the car seemed to be running great. We noticed no smoke prior to the issue, and there was no oil leaking after we pulled off the road.

We had the car towed all the way back to the same mechanic (probably a mistake - I wish we would have thought to have it looked at by a third party). His diagnosis was basically what I have learned is known as an oil hydrolock, where a vacuum is created and oil gets sucked from the crankcase to the cylinders, causing engine failure. There was no oil left in the car - completely empty.

In his opinion, the issue had nothing to do with the work they did, and was just coincidental. I have generally had good experiences with this mechanic and I want to trust them, but it seems pretty unlikely to me that this is just a coincidence.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by DBSull; 04-29-2019 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    It's pretty unlikely that this is just a coincidence.

Check your invoice and see if the technician mentions anywhere in the story that he did an "oil priming procedure" or something worded like that. Anytime the oil delivery system is opened up, BMW requires the technician to do a "priming procedure" to push the air out of the oil passages. Kinda like bleeding the brakes after replacing a caliper. If there is air in the system, it can cause crank bearings to operate at driving RPMs without being supplied any oil for some length of time, and begin the process of causing the engine to seize.

That situation however, doesn't account for the fact(?) that there wasn't any oil in the engine. Oil hydrolock is (usually) caused by a blocked crankcase ventilation system. Normally the valve gunks up and doesn't allow the oil to drain back to the oil pan, and instead it gets carried with the air back into the intake manifold and ultimately into the cylinders where it is burned until the amount of oil being brought into the cylinders overwhelms the engines ability to function. Severe cases result in bent rods usually. But ... the engine cant suck up 7 liters of oil so quickly that you wouldn't have noticed the low oil warning come on prior to the engine seizing up. It's one or the other. Either the low oil light was on for a really long time (was it?) while the engine was slowly sucking oil into the cylinders until it consumed it all and there was no more oil to lubricate the bearings and the engine seized, OR, the engine sucked up all 7 liters at once and hydrolocked the motor (which can't really happen, because it takes considerably less than 7 liters of oil to hydrolock the engine).

So ... if the low oil light wasn't on, there's something else going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    It's pretty unlikely that this is just a coincidence.

Check your invoice and see if the technician mentions anywhere in the story that he did an "oil priming procedure" or something worded like that. Anytime the oil delivery system is opened up, BMW requires the technician to do a "priming procedure" to push the air out of the oil passages. Kinda like bleeding the brakes after replacing a caliper. If there is air in the system, it can cause crank bearings to operate at driving RPMs without being supplied any oil for some length of time, and begin the process of causing the engine to seize.

That situation however, doesn't account for the fact(?) that there wasn't any oil in the engine. Oil hydrolock is (usually) caused by a blocked crankcase ventilation system. Normally the valve gunks up and doesn't allow the oil to drain back to the oil pan, and instead it gets carried with the air back into the intake manifold and ultimately into the cylinders where it is burned until the amount of oil being brought into the cylinders overwhelms the engines ability to function. Severe cases result in bent rods usually. But ... the engine cant suck up 7 liters of oil so quickly that you wouldn't have noticed the low oil warning come on prior to the engine seizing up. It's one or the other. Either the low oil light was on for a really long time (was it?) while the engine was slowly sucking oil into the cylinders until it consumed it all and there was no more oil to lubricate the bearings and the engine seized, OR, the engine sucked up all 7 liters at once and hydrolocked the motor (which can't really happen, because it takes considerably less than 7 liters of oil to hydrolock the engine).

So ... if the low oil light wasn't on, there's something else going on.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this - A couple of things that I learned when I went to go see the mechanic today, that might help to clarify the situation:

1. They did not drain the oil completely from the car as part of the Oil Filter Stand Gasket replacement. According to the mechanic, that is not necessary unless a full oil change was also being done at the time of service. Therefore, priming the engine wouldn't apply to my situation.
    2. I misunderstood him in saying that there was no oil in the engine. When they got the car back to their shop, it had 3 quarts remaining (5 quart capacity), meaning that it went through two quarts of oil before the engine failed. The low oil light never went on.

There were a lot of metal shavings (brass) visible in the oil that was removed from the engine today.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    1. You may have "learned" this, but the mechanic is flat wrong. I'll copy/paste the relevant section of the SIB that explains the "oil bleeding procedure" ... He is correct that the oil does not need to be drained in order to replace the oil filter housing gasket, but the rest of his statement is incorrect.

BMW SI B11 09 15 states :

"After replacing the engine or making engine repairs that require the replacement or removal of the engine bearings, VANOS gears, camshafts, bed plate resealing, engine oil pump, engine oil filter housing, cylinder head, engine oil cooler or anything that interrupts the engine oil supply circuit of the engine requires a short oil pump and oil supply circuit priming procedure."

It isn't required that the engine be drained of oil before necessitating the bleeding procedure, only that one of the components listed above be removed from the engine which interrupts the engine oil supply circuit. Your mechanic has said the equivalent of "Well, since I only replaced the caliper, and I didn't drain the brake fluid, I don't have to bleed the system". Which isn't true, anytime air is introduced by removing a part in the circuit, the system has to be bled.

2. That scenario sounds plausible for a blocked vent valve causing a hydrolocked engine. What was the temperature Wednesday night before you went on your trip? How often do you drive more than 20-30 miles without stopping?
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    05 325 xi
    the N20 engine in this car has big problems:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=912547

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3 28i
    Sorry that it has taken so long to respond - thank you for this. Very helpful.

This car is normally used around town - 15 - 20 miles per day on average, with a weekend trip of 300 - 500 miles once every 4 - 5 weeks. On the day of the incident, the weather was clear, and temperature about 50 degrees.

Do you have a link to the BMW SI B11 09 15 material that you are quoting? I can't seem to find it, and it would be very helpful to have the source for this.

Thanks again.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    SIB 11 09 15 Engine Replacement and Engine Repairs

INFORMATION
    New and remanufactured replacement engine assemblies are NOT pre-filled with engine oil.
    After replacing an engine with a new or remanufactured engine assembly, the engine oil level must be verified as outlined in the procedure below first, before starting the engine for the first time.
    If the new or remanufactured replacement engine is started to determine electronically if the engine is filled with the appropriate amount of engine oil, damage to the replacement engine can occur immediately.
    The engine may have some residual engine oil from assembly, but this is not enough engine oil to properly lubricate the engine to measure the engine oil level electronically when it is started for the first time.
    Further, the electronic engine oil measurement is only operational when the engine is running at its full operating temperature. Checking the engine oil without the engine running at operating temperature will lead to an incorrect or incomplete measurement.
    After replacing the engine or making engine repairs that require the replacement or removal of the engine bearings, VANOS gears, camshafts, bed plate resealing, engine oil pump, engine oil filter housing, cylinder head, engine oil cooler or anything that interrupts the engine oil supply circuit of the engine requires a short oil pump and oil supply circuit priming procedure.
    PROCEDURE
    The following procedure applies to all engines equipped with an electronic engine oil level sensor, with or without an engine oil dipstick.
    Replacement Engines:
    This procedure is used when the high pressure fuel system pressure is already depleted from complete engine replacement.

1. After installation of the replacement engine and before starting the engine for the first time, remove the engine oil drain plug. Drain any residual engine oil from the crankcase.
    2. Reinstall and torque the engine oil drain plug (with a new seal ring) per the applicable repair instruction.
    3. Remove the oil filter housing cover and verify the oil filter is present. Reinstall the oil filter housing cover and torque it to the proper specification noted in the applicable repair instruction.
    4. Fill the engine with the proper type and amount of engine oil, as specified in the applicable repair instruction.
    5. Connect a battery charger to the vehicle.
    6. Remove the electric fuel pump fuse. Refer to the applicable wiring diagram using the VIN number of the vehicle in ISTA/D.
    7. Crank the engine for 10 seconds.
    8. After 10 seconds have elapsed, stop the starter, and allow the starter to cool for 20 seconds.
    9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 two additional times.
    10. Reinstall the electric fuel pump fuse and start the engine. Verify proper engine operation.
    11. After the engine has reached operating temperature, check the engine oil electronically or with the dipstick, and top up the engine oil as needed.

Engine Repairs:
    This procedure is used when the high pressure fuel system pressure is not depleted after minor engine repairs and the fuel injection system needs to be disabled by removing the fuel injector electrical connectors.

1. If the engine has been drained prior to the repair remove the engine oil drain plug again to remove any residual oil that may have settled in the engine oil pan during the repair if the engine oil pan was not removed entirely.
    2. Reinstall and torque the engine oil drain plug (with a new seal ring) per the applicable repair instruction.
    3. Remove the oil filter housing cover and verify the oil filter is present. Reinstall the oil filter housing cover and torque it to the proper specification noted in the applicable repair instruction.
    4. Fill the engine with the proper type and amount of engine oil, as specified in the applicable repair instruction.
    5. Connect a battery charger to the vehicle.
    6. Remove all fuel injector electrical connectors to disable fuel injection.
    7. Crank the engine for 10 seconds.
    8. After 10 seconds have elapsed, stop the starter, and allow the starter to cool for 20 seconds.
    9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 two additional times.
    10. Reinstall the fuel injector electrical connectors, reassemble the vehicle and verify proper engine operation.
    11. After the engine has reached operating temperature, check the engine oil electronically or with the dipstick, and top up the engine oil as needed.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Claimable in conjunction with an applicable repair that is covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks or the BMW Certified Pre-Owned Program.
    Defect Code: Refer to KSD2 Claim with the defect code that applies to the engine replacement or repair that necessitated this additional work procedure to be performed

Only after an engine replacement:
    Labor Operation: Labor Allowance: Description:
    11 99 000 2 FRU Work time to perform the engine oil pump and oil supply circuit priming procedure after engine replacement.

Or:
    Only after an applicable engine repairs:
    Labor Operation: Labor Allowance: Description:
    11 99 000 2 FRU (all engines except N63, S63, N63TU, S63TU, N63R, S63R) Work time to perform the engine oil pump and oil supply circuit priming procedure with disconnection of fuel injector electrical connectors.
    Or
    11 99 000 6 FRU (all N63, S63, N63TU, S63TU, N63R, S63R engines) Work time to perform the engine oil pump and oil supply circuit priming procedure with disconnection of fuel injector electrical connectors.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't find the SIB online, and BMW doesn't allow links to the site that hosts them.