Thread: Grinding noise While Turning Left.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

Grinding noise While Turning Left.

Hi all, 1995 525i 5 SPD 284k

When the car is at idle and I turn the wheel left, I hear a grinding noise but, when I turn right, there is no noise. Also, if I am at a stop light, planning turn right or left, as I put it in first gear, just as I accelerated and turn at the same time, the belt chirps for a split second. The belt was replaced last year. Power steering fluid is topped and never lost fluid since I had the car.
    After replacing the belt, there were no issue the entire time until about a week ago.
    Any idea what might be going on?

I forgot to mention. As I turning left while driving, there is no grinding noise. It only occurs while the car is stopped and at idle.

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by drewusmaximus; 04-28-2019 at 04:11 PM.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Drain and replace all your power steering fluid.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Check belt tension. You may have assymetrical wear in your steerbox that loads the hydraulic pump (and thence the belt) more to the left than right. What fluid are you supposed to be using (some had Dexron ATF, others had Pentosin CHF11, and they are not interchangeable) and what are you actually using?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Check belt tension. You may have assymetrical wear in your steerbox that loads the hydraulic pump (and thence the belt) more to the left than right. What fluid are you supposed to be using (some had Dexron ATF, others had Pentosin CHF11, and they are not interchangeable) and what are you actually using?
    It's red. I assume ATF. I have not changed the fluid. It's been always topped off. Never went low, never leaked. I never thought of the belt tensioner. I should replace it since it's been on since I bought the car.