Thread: Need Advice on E46 M3 cooling system updating

My Cars
    2000 540i Dinan,2015650i

Need Advice on E46 M3 cooling system updating

My 2004 M3 alternator has failed. The car has about 30k miles on it and I'm just looking for recommendations on what to do with the cooling system. It is a supercharged car and I figured since we have many things apart i think it wouldn't b a bad idea to do some updating and replacing. The car is driven a few times a year and doesn't display any oil leaks on the front of the engine of course I planned on doing belts and hoses. Any opinions on the water pump? I read one recommendation to change the water pump out to a pump with a metal impeller. I understand the advantages of a metal impeller not coming apart but what is the downside? Appreciate any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I believe the suggestion you were given was regarding the S52 (E36 M3) pump. The pumps the S54 (E46 M3) uses is much more robust. Having said that, after 16 years, you might consider replacement.

As you mentioned, it's overdue for radiator, hoses and belts. My 04 M3 is close to the same age and I plan on also doing pulleys and tensioners as well.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

I think the M3 has a metal impellers on the water pump, for at 8k RPM plastic doesn't do very well.

I did the coolant overhaul a couple of years back when it hit 10, and the stock stuff just works IMO.

At 30k it is time for the valves to be adjusted, and of course new valve cover gasket.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe
    Undergoing a head gasket replacement currently on my 04 M3.. my related mods to bullet proof the S54 top-end:

- JE Pro Seal Cut/Cooper Ring head gasket
    - Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Radiator w/ ECS silicone radiator hoses
    - Mishimoto Electric Fan Shroud w/ NPT (adj fan controller to be added soon)
    - Mishimoto Performance Oil Cooler w/ SS braided lines & line bracket
    - Rein water pump w/ metal impeller
    - SS oil filter (higher flow rate to further prevent oil starvation, reusable - never have to buy another filter again)
    - ARP2000 head studs kit

I think all of this should be more than satisfactory, especially N/A and not FI.. I can add the copper spacer if I want to lower compression for FI application down the road.. valve shim job upcoming after she's all put back together, already rebuilt VANOS 1.5 yrs ago.. just got in Beisan System's new upper chain guide rail that's solid-filled, thicker design & NOT hollowed out like the OE design, and of stronger material.. I'm impatient to get this head fully stripped down to get it finally skimmed!

What's interesting.. when we pulled the head yesterday, we noticed the gasket was MLS and not OE (although they used OE head bolts).. wonder when it was exactly replaced and why it failed.. although between the cylinders we didn't see any actual breakage or disconnects, we saw warp and separation between the steel layers (esp the narrow clearance between the cylinders).. not sure if this was largely because of the gasket being pulled, but didn't see anything really left of what should've been the seals around the water and oil jackets also? Anyway, motor is at ~122k miles, figured it was time to get it done again and done RIGHT this go-around.

Good luck and just wanted to add in my 2 cents!
    Last edited by twiceasfastasyo; 04-30-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    2004 BMW e46 ///M3 S54 3.2L I6 NA ~360BHP RTD-6SM | Fully-rebuilt motor (forged lightweight rods & FSR pistons + rebalanced crank) & suspension, Conforti shark injector tune, aFe Stage 2 intake, Megan Racing catless SS headers (ceramic coated) + Status Gruppe sec 1 rasp elim + sec 2 un-resonated X-pipe + DNA motoring muffler (LOUD)
    2013 BMW e82 135i
    ///M-Sport N55 3.0L I6 Twin-scroll Turbo ~380BHP DCT | MHD Stage 2+ tune, aFe Stage 2 intake, free-flow/catless down-pipe + unresonated mid sec + straight piped rear w/ titanium quad burnt tips (LOUD)
    2012 VW GTI Mk6 2.0TSI EA888 2.0L I4 Turbo ~250BHP 6SM | Stratified tune, IE intake, hi-flow cat/downpipe, unresonated mid sec, stock gutted muffler (Sporty, civilized)