Thread: P2096 code always while driving on highway

My Cars
    Bmw x3 2014 2.8

P2096 code always while driving on highway

Hi

I have a BMW X3 (F25) 2014 2.6 base with 130K kilometers.

Almost everytime I drive a long run (over 400km) on the highway my check engine turn-on... always the code P2096... and disappear 2 or 3 days after... I either delete the code with my odbc reader or wait 2 or 3 days.

I changed my gaz cap already but I still get the chech engine code... it appears like it only happens when I run long period at speed over 75 kilometers ( I usually use the cruise control at 115km).

Any ideas?

Patrice

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    "P2096 trouble code definition. In the simplest of terms, the P2096 fault code indicates the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has received data from the oxygen sensors in the exhaust system that there is an excess of air and shortage of fuel within the number one cylinder."

Maybe the injector is on its way out. Or the O2 sensor. A fault scan with BMW-specific software would be a good place to start for more accurate fault codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Bmw x3 2014 2.8
    OK, I bought Carly for BMW, and I now have more codes (lot of junk there too, I will clear them all up)

Engine / Motor
    Fault Code: 118602
    Fault Explanation: Lambda probe upstream of the catalyst, finecontrol mixture: exhaust gas catalyst according to lean

SYSTEM
    Junction Box
    Fault Code: C90D60Fault Explanation: :K-LIN 6 xAUC Sensor: Internal sensor error

Other things (not sure all related, but cut and paste here)
    Engine / MotorCode:
    INFO 118602
    Explanation: Lambda probe upstream of the catalyst, fine controlmixture: exhaust gas catalyst according to lean
    Code: INFO 12BD80Explanation: Lambda probe upstream of the catalyst: Group errorCode: INFO 1C0401
    Explanation: Engine oil pressure control: unstable

Code:
    INFO 1FB101
    Explanation: Power Management: battery startability upper thresholdis undershot

Any ideas or suggestions ?
    Last edited by patricefortin; 05-01-2019 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    You said it's an X3 2.6 ... We only have 2.0 and 3.0 here in the US ... which engine is that?

There's a bulletin for the N20 (2.0 liter engine) for the 118602 fault that states that if there are no faults in the ...

1. Tank ventilation system
    2. · Intake, exhaust, and crankcase breather systems tight and without any leaks – check with a smoke tester
    3. · Injection
    4. · Air mass sensor (HFM)
    5. · Ignition
    6. · Crankshaft and camshaft sensors
    7. · Throttle valve

Then you should replace the pre-catalyst oxygen sensor (only if not previously replaced).
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Oh, and then :

8. Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 3.59.0 or higher

9. Target integration level: F0xx-16-07-501 or higher

My Cars
    Bmw x3 2014 2.8
    Hi and thank-you Critter7r :-)

This is the standard base BMW xDrive28i.

I have to apologize, I am really not a mechanic guy (more a computer guy), but can I assume here with what you just said that, it may indicate a upcoming defective Oxygen sensor?

My rationale is that it
    1. It only happens once in a while on the highway (long drive) and
    2. It was never changed (are we supposed to change the O2 by default?
    3. It always Clair by itself 2 days after.

So, unless you disagree, I will wait until I have enough and then change the O2 ?

-Pat

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    For an over-the-internet diagnosis and all that entails, yes, replace the pre-cat o2 sensor when you can.

My Cars
    Bmw x3 2014 2.8
    Thanks, last question if I may...

I bought the Carly for BMW and I can collect live data when I drive or when idle from the odb2 connector (lots of settings on the O2 sensor). Is there a way to collect data that would proof that the O2 sensor is dying?

Or I have to wait that the O2 die :-(

Thanks virtual expert and I appreciate your help.
    -Patrice
    Last edited by patricefortin; 05-03-2019 at 10:16 AM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    There may be, but I don't know the specifics of how to gather it.

My Cars
    Bmw x3 2014 2.8
    I changed the Oxygen sensor finally and I still have the same erroe, crap !!!!

My Cars
    f34
    Hi, have you solved your problem? Have exactly the same issue, n20 engine got this error on a long trip 300km+-, never while driving in city.

My Cars
    Bmw x3 2014 2.8
    Never solved and I still have the same exact issue... each time I go on the highway and start the car for the second time (never the first time. I can drive 5 thousand kilemeters without stopping but if I stop to go pee it will turn on right away). And it disappear after a few days on the city. I changed the oxygen sensor and paid 800 dollars at the BMW dealer and they could not fixed it. Strange

My Cars
    f34
    Ok, i will speak with local BMW gurus, maybe they will have something on this issue.Also i have found another post in another bmw related website, i will try to ask maybe that guy have found a solution for this.

My Cars
    Bmw x3 2014 2.8
    Any news or update on a potential solution?

My Cars
    f34
    Quote Originally Posted by patricefortin View Post
    Any news or update on a potential solution?
    Nope, still didnt have time to speak with my local mechanic. After 3 or 4 days of driving check engine light gone. If i will find something i will share.

My Cars
    2009 Bmw 328i
    Wanted to see if this was ever resolved? Having the exact same issue. It looks like you drove it a year and it was fine?

My Cars
    2012 BMW X3 28i
    Just purchased a 2012 BMW X3 28i with 77,000 miles. Recently took it on a trip and the check engine light came on. After hooking it up, I also got the P2096 code. Half way though the next day, when I was driving it locally, the light went off.

Happy that the light went off, but a little concerned that something might still be misfiring? Last thing I want to do is cause more damage. Any advice / solutions, things to explore are welcomed.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Is yours the turbo 4 or normally aspirated 6? In any event, the generic OBD2 P2096 means the sensor is showing a lean condition. That's typically from extra air entering the system. That can be on the intake side (vacuum leak) or exhaust side (exhaust leak). I'd also recommend getting a BMW specific code reader. I have the Foxwell NT530. It's not likely a misfire. That would result in unburned fuel and a rich condition.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    E83, E21
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    It's not likely a misfire. That would result in unburned fuel and a rich condition.
    I've more often than not found misfires to result in LEAN conditions, because the exhaust sensors measure oxygen, not fuel. While a misfires pass unburnt fuel through the exhaust, they also pass an entire cylinder's worth of un-reacted air (oxygen) into the exhaust, tricking the DME into believing a lean condition and upping the injected fuel amount. That said, a vacuum leak is highly probable. The raw fuel coupled with excessive oxygen shifts the combustion reaction into the catalyst, destroying it if not rectified.

OP: Vacuum leaks are part and parcel to owning a post-50k miles BMW. A quality code reader that can read the fuel trims and pending misfire counts is essential here; the misfire threshold needed to store a DTC for it is higher than most people think it would be. If you have over 50k miles on the spark plugs, they're due for replacement anyway. Accurate diagnostics can be perverted by stacked tolerances. Quantitative data > qualitative feelings here.
    Last edited by dukedkt442; 03-12-2022 at 08:55 AM.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.