Thread: E36 M-Sport Suspension

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is

E36 M-Sport Suspension

Hi all,

I have a 99 328is with the M-sport package and am looking to upgrade suspension. I've found a used set of bilstein B8s that have less than 20k miles on them for a good price, so I'm probably going to buy them. He supplied the part number and I'm just not sure if it'll fit with the sport package. I honestly don't even know the difference between the non sport 3 series, the sport 3 series, and the m3 (this I know is where the sway bar end links mount, maybe?)

I also lined up a set of used lowering springs because I'm on a tight budget and plus, springs really don't go bad the same way shocks do. The part number for the shocks is 35-044031 and the part number for the springs, I assume, is SKE366C16.

I have two questions/concerns:
    1. I am unaware if he has the left side of the shocks. ECS says the fitment is directional, so I'm unsure. Here is the ad: https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/...848185840.html
    2. Would those springs make the clearances for the sport model? https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/...870052306.html

I tend to overthink compatibility and fitment on the e36 chassis, just like I did my manual swap, but it's a bit of a drive and I wanna be sure.
    Thanks for your time!

My Cars
    99 M3

E36 M-Sport Suspension

The 328, 328 Sport, and M3 can all run M3 format suspension parts, though you cannot mix and match M3 front struts with 328/328 Sport springs and vise versa.
    The M3 and the non-‘M’ springs have different lower spring winding diameters which creates the spring/strut incompatibility.
    Additionally, the 1995M3 springs have a different upper diameter than the 1996+M3.
    You can make this work, you just have to know what you are getting into, and what mates with what.

Look at www.realoem.com for part number requirements for your VIN, enter the last seven of your VIN to look at your cars part listing.

Then look at other models by build date to determine the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-04-2019 at 03:10 AM.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Springs do go bad, just not like struts. Never ever ever buy used struts ever. Springs sure, struts? No. They only last like 60K tops before serious performance dropoff. If you are on a budget, use craigslist for non critical components. I was able to pick up a set of Koni Strt struts for under $400 from tire rack recently. That's pretty budget but not shit. You are going to have to spend some money to keep the car working properly, make sure you replace the critical components with new equipment or you will inherit other peoples problems. Ps, got a damn new Sachs performance clutch and luk flywheel for sale... Dig?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    haha actually just installed my own sachs performacne clutch and single mass flywheel when I manual swapped my car last summer. I just picked up a set of bilstein B8s, front and rear, and H&R sport springs, barely used, from a guy I know and get along well with (I've bought many things from him before) for a VERY VERY reasonable price. I ain't complaining, I saved HUNDREDS of dollars, and that's just that - I don't need anything fancy for my car, just enough to get me going and be able to take advantage of all these canyon roads. done and done

My Cars
    yay
    If you're going to go through all the trouble, do it right the first time.

Get a new set of Bilsteins and some H&R sports or similar if you want an upgrade that you'll actually notice...
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    The difference between a sport and not sport strut is 5/8" in the length. I've got sport struts and Eibach Pro kit springs so it's dropped about 40mm and never had any issues with bottoming out.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    99 M3
    H&R offers an OE Sport Spring set that has a very slight drop.
    If you are going to use M3 components, I can help with part numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk