Thread: Electric Connectors for Manual Top

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328ic

Electric Connectors for Manual Top

I just a bought what seems like a very good set of parts (from a 1997 323ic I think) needed to convert my 1996 semi-automatic top to a fully manual top. Pictures below. It hasn't shipped yet but I'm wondering about one of the electrical connectors. The wiring running from the passenger side latch must be for the trunk interlock switch. There's also a second electronic unit which the seller says was mounted near the latch release handle. His guess is that this is maybe an interlock which does not allow the latch release to move when the car has been locked (so that noone can get into the top compartment). Does that sound right? Does anyone have a picture or two that shows how this is mounted? Any ideas about where the mating electric connector would be?

manual-top-switch2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the full set of parts:

manual-top-latch-kit.jpg
    Last edited by sreidvt2; 04-27-2019 at 11:09 AM.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by sreidvt2 View Post
    I just a bought what seems like a very good set of parts (from a 1997 323ic I think) needed to convert my 1996 semi-automatic top to a fully manual top. Pictures below. It hasn't shipped yet but I'm wondering about one of the electrical connectors. The wiring running from the passenger side latch must be for the trunk interlock switch. There's also a second electronic unit which the seller says was mounted near the latch release handle. His guess is that this is maybe an interlock which does not allow the latch release to move when the car has been locked (so that noone can get into the top compartment). Does that sound right? Does anyone have a picture or two that shows how this is mounted? Any ideas about where the mating electric connector would be?

manual-top-switch2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the full set of parts:

manual-top-latch-kit.jpg
    Picture 2 is the trunk lock override stuff. Simple plug and go.
    Picture 1, I believe is what you said. If the car is locked with the top stowed in the tonneau it prevents the tonneau from opening when the handle is pulled. It wires into the harness next to your full automatic top motor. I never really tried that function before pulling them from the convertibles. It's not needed for the full manual top to function. I don't know anyone that took the time and effort to install after a swap.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328ic
    Thanks 66 6. I did some research into this and will post the info here in case it is useful to someone in the future. The device is called a:

Genuine BMW Drive, Locking Mechanism Hinten - 67118362050

It seems to slide into a boxed tunnel in the latch. I haven't installed it yet and won't be but it seems that a little motor controls a plunger which changes the latch mode from locked to unlocked.

I suppose some people might like this device for security but, to me, it seems like just one more electronic piece that could be problematic in the future. I certainly would not want it to fail and leave the tonneau unable to be opened.

I am about to try a used replacement tonneau motor in the car. I have fixed the original one several times but it now seems to be past fixing. If the new tonneau motor works I'll stay with a semi-auto top for now but, if and when the time comes, I now have all the parts I need to switch to a factory style manual top. The parts for a manual top conversion seem to be pretty scarce on the used market and new they, all together, run about $700 plus shipping. Finding them used on E-Bay for $250 was wonderful. The seller hadn't even listed them. I contacted him because he seemed like he might have them. I'm a happy camper.
    Last edited by sreidvt2; 05-02-2019 at 06:27 PM.