Thread: E30 M20 Overheating

My Cars
    Bmw E30 320i

E30 M20 Overheating

Hi all I have an E30 320i which keeps on overheating, I have replaced the water, the clutch fan, thermostat as well as flushing the radiator. I also tried bleeding but there is only air coming out. It overheatings while idling the water than starts boiling in the expansion water bottle. There's no indication of a blow gasket I checked under the oil cap and also at the dipstick and also no smoke at the exhaust.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Are you sure, that there is no loss of coolant?

Did you reconnect a hose or two incorrectly? this may cause incorrect coolant flow. If only air comes out of the bleeder screw and no coolant at all, you have a block somewhere. Again, check that the Thermostat is installed in the correct position as well as the mark/arrow is pointing upwards, double check hoses for direction of flow.

My Cars
    Bmw E30 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by H.J. 1981 View Post
    Are you sure, that there is no loss of coolant?

Did you reconnect a hose or two incorrectly? this may cause incorrect coolant flow. If only air comes out of the bleeder screw and no coolant at all, you have a block somewhere. Again, check that the Thermostat is installed in the correct position as well as the mark/arrow is pointing upwards, double check hoses for direction of flow.
    Hi thanks after reconnecting everthing to check if the first connections was correct, I lifted the car and started bleeding seems to be working as air bubbles and some water started to come out, it does not overheat any more but it seems that there is still air inside, time did not allow me to continue bleeding will resume bleeding again today and see what happens.

Thanks for info.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    I would just like to add that flushing a radiator will not necessarily remove any sediment from the lower tubes. You could have plenty of water flowing from the inlet to the outlet even if the majority of a radiator has blockages. And since it’s best to replace ALL of the cooling system components at one point or another, for one reason or another, keep in mind if the car still seems to run hot from time to time, the radiator is still on the radar.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    I'll go with msservices on radiator. I was having overheating problems - couldn't figure it out as radiator seemed good. Upon advice, I replaced radiator and all was good.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    And guess how you plug up a radiator?
    Tap water

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Do not forget to turn the heater to max heat as well, to allow coolant to flow inside the heat exchanger.