Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: EDM ECU backup restore

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0i

EDM ECU backup restore

So I have searched and searched and cant seem to find an answer about backing up an edm. I have an 06 z4 3.0i, N52. I bought a 3 stage manifold for it and downloaded the bimmer geeks software. I havent ordered a cable yet, its on my list. I have signed up at bimmerlabs and explored there. I found the delete file and 330i tune I would use.
    Question is how do I backup my edm/ecu before I flash it? I want to be able to undue those changes incase something goes wrong. I just cant seem to find an example of this online. Maybe its not possible?

FYI, software isnt my strongest skill, it was hard enough to get winkfp to open on my pc. A handful of files needed to be resaved and then even copied over to different folders manually; none of which is intuitive to me. So my fear is this is just enough over my head that i can get it started, some error occurs and now i have a defunct edm and have to send it off for repair. My alternative is like $450 to send it to turner motorsports or the like for the tune so the bimmerlabs tune is much preferred. And I think those guys are super sharp and capable; I just have to be able to work through the obstacles if any arise or revert back to factory edm settings.

Any way to backup or restore an edm for the N52?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

- - - Updated - - -

And I see now I posted this in the wrong area, apologies

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Send a pm to “328 power 04”. His name is Abel and he know EVERYTHING about engine computers.

My Cars
    125i E82
    Quote Originally Posted by sickwayne77 View Post
    So I have searched and searched and cant seem to find an answer about backing up an edm. I have an 06 z4 3.0i, N52. I bought a 3 stage manifold for it and downloaded the bimmer geeks software. I havent ordered a cable yet, its on my list. I have signed up at bimmerlabs and explored there. I found the delete file and 330i tune I would use.
    Question is how do I backup my edm/ecu before I flash it? I want to be able to undue those changes incase something goes wrong. I just cant seem to find an example of this online. Maybe its not possible?

FYI, software isnt my strongest skill, it was hard enough to get winkfp to open on my pc. A handful of files needed to be resaved and then even copied over to different folders manually; none of which is intuitive to me. So my fear is this is just enough over my head that i can get it started, some error occurs and now i have a defunct edm and have to send it off for repair. My alternative is like $450 to send it to turner motorsports or the like for the tune so the bimmerlabs tune is much preferred. And I think those guys are super sharp and capable; I just have to be able to work through the obstacles if any arise or revert back to factory edm settings.

Any way to backup or restore an edm for the N52?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

- - - Updated - - -

And I see now I posted this in the wrong area, apologies

Hi,

did you finally find an answer?

I would like to know too how to make a backup of the DME for safety before do some modifications.

Thanks

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

I'd suggest posting in this relevant section - https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...-Engine-Tuning

Cheers, Dennis!