Thread: Starting issue, well....sometimes

My Cars
    1979 BMW 733i

Starting issue, well....sometimes

Ok, I have finally figured out all my no start issues I had after doing the fuel pump replacement and was good for a couple days. Then I had issues with the starter solenoid not contacting correctly and would pull in but not pass current to the starter. It would also explain the 2 times I had the starter continue to run after removing the key from the ignition as the contactor likely stuck on those times. I replaced the SR41x with a SR95x which is what the "replacement" seemed to be. After I ordered it I noticed a thread on the MyE28 board that perhaps it would have been smarter to go with the SR441x but alas I already had the 95 coming.

I had a fun time getting to the top nut to get my starter off but did it with a combination of a box wrench I bent and one I cut off to be a box end only stubby wrench. The #6 intake runner had to come off to even attempt getting to the nut and I am very happy it was a nut and not a bolt as some posts I found would have indicated. It looked like the previous person that put a re-man on used a chisel to tighten the nut the last time. After I got the new one installed, which went in surprisingly easier, I turned the key to start it and......nothing. No click, no groan, just a whir of some pump that I couldn't have heard before and the fuel pump whirring away. I double checked all the connections were on the right posts and I even poked them with a B+ jumper wire and the starter took off just like it should. Right now, when this happens, I have an extra wire on the "trigger" connection on the starter and I touch the B+ post of the battery leaving the key in the run position it returns to from start position when it fails and it fires right up. I watched the trigger wire on the starter with a meter to see if it is getting anything. .... When it starts properly the line has 11+ volts on it, however, when it fails it only has like 6-7 volts on it.

I knew the battery that was in it was 1) old and 2) too small. I installed a group 48(H6) battery in it yesterday which fits nicely and will give me a bit more punch this winter. I also replaced the voltage regulator on the alternator since when I measure the charging voltage it seems low(like 13.6 as I recall) and it was an easy job to do. The new vr is putting out the same voltage as the old one. I had purchased a known good used ECU and have swapped that out with my original thinking it might be part of the problem. Both do the exact same thing.

I am at a complete loss as to even begin figuring out what is not happy.
    Thoughts?
    Scott
    1979 733i

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Ignition switch issue?
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1979 BMW 733i
    You know, the thought crossed my mind too so I found a NOS switch on ebay and have it coming. Naturally my switch is different than everything newer than '79. Looks to be they changed the connector from a female socket to a male socket on the switch side and not backward compatible. And the newer one is about 1/2 the price.

I also just went out to the garage and turned the key and it fired right up. I tried it 2 more times and it worked all 3 times. That gets me wondering if it is a thermal issue with something. When it failed earlier today it was up to normal operating temps whereas first thing this morning and now the engine bay is completely cold. I think I am going to buy some electronic freeze spray and start blasting stuff after heating it up.
    Scott
    1979 733i