Thread: ugh... new water pump gasket leaking

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible

Unhappy ugh... new water pump gasket leaking

yesterday was the first time i got the car out to drive after 3.5 months of work including timing belt and new water pump. I put cardboard down to see if there are any leaks..... and while i saw no oil or mt leaks, there is a leak coming from the new water pump gasket. I carefully scraped and cleaned up surface with brillo pad (every carefully).

My question, although i torqued down to specs, is it possible i didnt torque enough? Gasket bad? Looking like i am going to have to tear down the front of the engine again and pull the new water pump. Am I going to half to put permatex for water pumps on it? The last one was on i think since 2002.

Ugh.
    1987 BMW 325i Convertible

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Dude, that sucks. I never had one leak but i tightened by hand till i felt it was good. I have never torqued those bolts
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    i used a torque wrench instead of doing it like i normally do.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    It’s generally a good idea to run a small 1mm/1/16” line of permatex (red is my favorite, but black works too) around both sides and around each bolt hole, on all the gaskets on an m20. And yes it needs to set up a day or so before filling it up and running it again. You can remove the water pump without removing the timing belt again, and if you clean the gasket (and block) with acetone you may reuse the gasket. Of course the worse part is draining the antifreeze again. I use a small shop vac with a rubber hose attachment to evacuate it as i am disconnecting hoses, some may use the drain plug on the passenger side of the block, I would recommend both, as for me cleaning up antifreeze takes the fun out of working on cars
    Last edited by msservices; 04-24-2019 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    i am going to pick up a new gasket tonight... they are dirt cheap. I hope i just undertightened a bolt.... but not much hope that is actually the case. I will use the same permatex that i used for the thermostat housing. It does suck that i have to let it set up 24 hours though.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    since it is a brand new pump/belts/timing belt and tensioner (literally 12 miles on the belts), how would i go about just removing and remounting the water pump? I am not sure if i need to yet, but wont know until i get in there again.
    Last edited by doctorx69; 04-25-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    I do think it’s a good idea to use a torque wrench on all of the bolts on the m20 because they are inherently small, and therefore delicate, so if you are going to apply more torque I would be very careful and use a 1/4” drive ratchet, nothing bigger. As far as having to wait 24 hours , I would just read the directions on the tube of gasket sealer. I’m sure there’s plenty of people that don’t do it and don’t have any problems by but the idea is anytime you glue anything together you’re supposed to let the glue dry
    Last edited by msservices; 04-25-2019 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    well... i tore it down... Found 2 of the bolts on pump not tight at all. I did torque those to 16ft-lbs. Decided to pull the pump and the gasket was just trashed. Going to get a new one in the morning. Oreilly had to get it shipped in for morning delivery. I guess i will put the permatex on this time. This will give a chance to double check all the other bolts... sheeze

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    Just remember when you use that stuff that more is not better, it just needs to be a small, but continuous bead, it doesn’t need to spooge out everywhere, in fact, that would just add to the set up/dry time, and it makes your motor work look less than professional
    Last edited by msservices; 04-26-2019 at 09:58 AM.

My Cars
    yup. put very little and spread it on with your finger so its lightly applied. then it doesn't squeeze out and get into areas you don't want, besides looking horrible
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    exactly what i did... been about 22 hours... I hope i can get the tensioner spring back on. kinda of hard to do after the fact. I know it isnt required after tesioner installation, but still.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    *sigh* try 3. gasket slipped... The upside, I am getting much quicker at tearing down and putting back together. *sigh*

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    dang, that sucks
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    i wasnt able to get the spring and bolt back... hopefully that will be ok... I got another gasket, different sealant (didnt know jb weld had a waterpump/thermostat housing sealant). It has a setup time of 1 hour vs 24 for permatex. I got it tore down and put back together before quitting. Didnt see gasket slipped this time. Here is to hoping. Tomorrow, I will attempt the coolant again. If I still have issues... I have decided to just get a new timing belt and do that. (this one only has 15 miles on it *sigh*).

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    Dude, that really sucks.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    I personally have taken timing belts off and reinstalled them without issues. I was just mentioning that you can replace a water pump without having to remove it. Yes it may be a bit more tight in there, but if you look at an m20 outside the car, you can see how the water pump sits in there and that the bolts are accessible.If it’s easier for you to pull the timing belt, don’t think you have to pop for another one since it is in fact new. I have reused/reinstalled almost every part on my cars that the manuals say one time use only.
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=204821
    Last edited by msservices; 04-28-2019 at 11:40 PM.

My Cars
    I have loosened timing belts and reused them also. not old ones but new ones if I had low miles and needed to fix something like a water pump. I just do a visual to make sure it didn't get torn or messed up and reinstall it
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    3rd time was the charm. The JB weld water pump sealant did the trick. I took my time and was able to get it leak free. I didnt have to take the timing belt off as i was fearing i would have to. The upside is I am getting really quick tearing front of engine down. I did it twice on Sat. I didnt reinstall the spring/bolt for tensioner again though. I've put it up for safe keeping until the next time i do the timing belt.

As a side note... dont let anyone talk to you when putting belts on... i forgot to tighten the alternator. Belt wasnt slipping yet, but it moved waaaaay too easily.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    That makes 3 of us who have reused BMW parts that the service manual says to use new.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    Cool... next time i wont worry about it if i have to... again thanks.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    glad you are back and going.

I have left that spring and pin off of the timing belt tensioner, before, also.
    No e30s again.