Thread: A/C Condenser Choices?

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i

A/C Condenser Choices?

Hi all,
    I know, ANOTHER e21 air conditioning thread. But hear me out on this one.
    I've noticed that searching through these forums, the choices for a parallel flow condenser are slim to none, let alone links for one to purchase.
    I have already converted to R134 and the last piece to the puzzle would be a good parallel flow condenser, but of course, having no idea on what could possibly fit, I would essentially be throwing money away trying to make something work- or worse, hacksawing at my core support to fit something bigger than my radiator.
    Can someone provide me with some options as to what kind of condenser I can install, hopefully at the same the time I finally put in this e30m3 radiator.

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Are you allowed to run a hydrocarbon style gas to bump up the efficiency of the system instead? Often they're much better when charged into a system designed for R12. Runs at much lower pressures. We have something called Hychill in Australia: "...Minus 30 is a blend of R600a and R290".
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by FranzE21 View Post
    Are you allowed to run a hydrocarbon style gas to bump up the efficiency of the system instead? Often they're much better when charged into a system designed for R12. Runs at much lower pressures. We have something called Hychill in Australia: "...Minus 30 is a blend of R600a and R290".
    Unfortunately, given my circumstances, I can only keep using the R134. The parallel flow condenser would have to be my only choice. Brackets are no problem, some CAD and a machine shop can get that made for me no problem. I really just need something that's parallel and fits.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    I went with this one on ebay, a universal 12x16. This type is available in various sizes but this was the biggest I thought I could get in there.

Although I mounted on the car a year or so ago, and the evaporator is in place inside, I haven't yet gotten around to installing the rest of the system yet so I can't comment on how well it works. (eg Sanden-style compressor, dryer, hoses)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNFP1216-AC...item2a4e3a190e

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    You can find hydrocarbon refrigerants in the US. I bought a case of envirosafe HC-12 for around $50 on amazon and am happy with it. Do you have the brick (Bosch Piston Type) compressor or a rotary style?

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    I went with this one on ebay, a universal 12x16. This type is available in various sizes but this was the biggest I thought I could get in there.

Although I mounted on the car a year or so ago, and the evaporator is in place inside, I haven't yet gotten around to installing the rest of the system yet so I can't comment on how well it works. (eg Sanden-style compressor, dryer, hoses)
    Thanks for the link, I just ordered one. We’ll see how I can plumb this up to my existing setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecatmilton View Post
    You can find hydrocarbon refrigerants in the US. I bought a case of envirosafe HC-12 for around $50 on amazon and am happy with it. Do you have the brick (Bosch Piston Type) compressor or a rotary style?
    I swapped a rotary Sanden type out of an e30 with its associated brackets. Everything has been redone to accommodate for the r134a refrigerant.