Thread: Justin's 128i

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

Justin's 128i

Hey everyone, me again. Just picked up my next chassis to build, a 2008 128i. Its disgusting, but I feel like I stole it at the auction. This is going to be a looooong build between customer cars and trying to save for parts while maintaining the other cars, but figured I'd make this just to document the process.

How it arrived from auction, if you look close you can see the water line down the sides.

Untitled by novablue454, on Flickr

of course with the water damage everything is either non-functional or barely working, and the seats are froze in a location you can't access the bolts. The whole interior is molding, and there's still standing water in the carpet, so the first step is to get all the health hazard stuff out. Bob is cutting the seats to get them out lol

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Might as well LS swap it

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Looking forward to the future of this one, I ALMOST bid on an auction 135 the other day. I don't actually have the disposable money, it woul've been mostly out of the savings account. Then I realized that this was stupid, and I have a drift car already!

With something like 230hp, if you're gutting it to get rid of the health hazard stuff, It should pop down to around 2800 lbs. I think it'll end up being a super fun car!
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Might as well LS swap it
    you know me too well!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Looking forward to the future of this one, I ALMOST bid on an auction 135 the other day. I don't actually have the disposable money, it woul've been mostly out of the savings account. Then I realized that this was stupid, and I have a drift car already!

With something like 230hp, if you're gutting it to get rid of the health hazard stuff, It should pop down to around 2800 lbs. I think it'll end up being a super fun car!
    It doesn't run, I haven't had much time to diag anything yet but everything powers on, but no crank. The engine turns over fine by hand so it's not a hydrolock or anything like that. I am hoping the starter is just bad but its a nightmare to change.

It is going to be getting swapped (hence why I went with a 128 Automatic) but It'd be nice to prove this engine/trans are good before pulling because I can near break even on the car selling them.

My Cars
    97 M3, 12 135i
    Considering looking for one of these specifically to swap. Wife has a 135i and loves it but wants a V8, current car way too nice to swap. Would you mind saying what you paid for it? Not sure what they are going for, found a couple around 4-5k....

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    It was $1050, ended up like $2000 after auction fees and transport

My Cars
    97 M3, 12 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    It was $1050, ended up like $2000 after auction fees and transport
    Appreciate the info man. Maybe I'll start keeping my eyes open for one.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    got it running, turns out the battery is just totally effed and these things take a ton of power start. Ended up jumping the trunk battery with a spare battery we had floating around, and a jump box on the connections in the bay. She started right up and sounds great, as well as shifts good too.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    got most of the nasty carpet out. The section around the pedals is still there and the part under the console, but it's coming along. It's taking a while because I am a bit of a germophobe and keep soaking things in alcohol / changing gloves and masks / cleaning tools and generally trying to touch it as little as possible.

engine cleaned up / tested / ready to start pulling. I am going to leave it operable for a bit in case any potential buyers want to hear it first hand.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Nice purchase. In for updates.

also made this chart for your threads.
    justin.png
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Oh so the motor is good? Nice. Man you got a good deal. How'd you find it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?