Thread: Suspension/all wheel drive issues

My Cars
    325xi; 740i

Suspension/all wheel drive issues

About a month and a half ago I have developed a clunk, it is very inconsistent. When "cold" ie:after sitting for 4+ hours or overnight slight deviations will cause an audible clunk and a feeling of a clunk at my feet. When "hot" or at highway speeds (above 45MPH) the clunk is rare even hitting overpass expansion joints. There is no steering play beyond what is normal at highway speeds, the only slight pull is due to slightly incorrect toe on the passenger side wheel. I have taken a pry bar to all the suspension ball joints in the front end and found no play at all. The ball joints bolted to the sub frame are brand new and same with the LCABs (1yr old BMW). The upper strut mount on the passenger side is brand new (Lemforder). Tires are brand new installed February. I was doing an oil change Saturday and I noticed the passenger wheel will spin a little less than half its rotation (about 45 degrees) in either direction and makes a clunk when it hits the end of travel. There are no engine or differential noises front or rear. Thoughts anyone?
    Car is a 11/03 mfg date 325xi non-sport.
    New Daily:
    2011 Audi A6 Avant 3.0T prestige. 1 of 368

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What is the condition of the motor mounts? The factory mounts are fluid filled so look for leaking fluid.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Bang on the ends of the sway bar links long-wise to hear if they are loose. Remove the outer brake pad springs and bend them a little so they hold the outer pad more tightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Factory motor mounts are good, look perfectly dry.

I will test the sway bar end links when I have some free time this weekend.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Aside from what's been suggested, some failing struts will clunk only when cold and disappear when warm through fluid expansion.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    check the front brakes for the anti-rattle clips. they fall off when pads become worn too far. also like said the sway bar end links. Also the motor mount. If the ball joints are good and all other items check out then it could be a strut but you say you feel it in the floor so i suspect its something connected to the sub frame.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Both front brakes have the anti-rattle clips, pads are brand new replaced by a local shop a month before I bought the car one year ago. I tested both sway bar end links and both are good. Visual inspection of the motor mounts passed just fine. The only way I got some kind of noise was by testing for tie rod play, there was no movement at all however I did hear a clunk. Tried to crawl under the car and try and move the wheel to better locate it but I couldn't get enough force in either direction to trigger it.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Maybe an internal issue with the steering rack.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Maybe an internal issue with the steering rack.
    That's kind of what im thinking too as the car tracks perfectly straight up to 115mph I had it at the other day. There is no audible clunk outside the car that I can hear with the windows down either. In January we had an ice storm and I was forced into a curb on the passenger side snapping the control arm ball joint, tearing the CV apart and tearing out the sway bar end link. Replaced all those parts and the car was fine for about 3 months until this started happening. The noise is coming from the driver side.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

My Cars
    2000 bmw 328ci
    check the emergency break u might need to replace it, i heard a clink and thought it was suspension problems as well but it wasn't

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    BMW put out a bulletin in 2001 stating that steering racks steering racks MUST be replaced if any of the following happens :

There is visible damage to the steering gear, including blackening or discoloration of the housing from fire damage.
    There is any permanent deformation or cracks on:
    Steering gear mounts
    Front axle subframe
    Steering drop arms or Pitman arms
    Spring struts
    Spindles or hubs
    Steering column
    Control arms or wishbones (except damage caused by improper towing or tie-downs)
    Thrust or tension rods or stabilizers performing a locating function (except damage caused by improper towing or tie-downs)
    Track rods or drag links and tie rods (except damage caused by improper towing or tie-downs)

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    That's probably it then, just weird how it didn't bend the tire rods on the passenger side. Alignment was fine right after minus an unbalanced wheel. (I screwed up the alignment later when I separated the tie rods to replace the tie rod boot)
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold: