Thread: Price check: looking at a 3.0 2001 Impala Brown Z3

My Cars
    2010 GTI

Price check: looking at a 3.0 2001 Impala Brown Z3

The person who bought this car is selling it for $11,900:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-z3-7/

I realize he got a very good deal at $9,200, but is it really worth an extra $2,700 two years later?

He's only put about 1,000 miles on it (51,000) and he did buy new Good Year Eagle Sports when he took possession. But he hasn't addressed the oil residue on the underside or the broken running light, and overall it's probably not as spotless as it was from the dealer two years ago (stored under a carport during the summer + he lives on gravel road). Cooling system is original.

Does the hardtop really boost the value that much? I do like the unique color, though if I have to address the radiator/water pump plus oil seepage, then it's really getting expensive.

Worth $12,000?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    If he sourced and added the hardtop then that would explain the price difference. That’s about current “retail” for a mounting kit and top. I’d address the oil leaks first. It’s probably the vc gasket or the oil filter housing gasket or both leaking. I’d want that fixed for $12,000 but it’s a cheap diy. You could find a M for that money but it would likely be a higher mileage one. Look at the rest of the under hood rubber and intake boots that’s where age will be a issue regardless of miles driven.

My Cars
    chariot of the gods
    Hardtop was on the car when it went through BAT, and it’s not even the right color.

IMO no, not worth it. You can find M cars with similar mileage for not a whole lot more

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I also don’t consider it a steal by any means. I personally don’t like hardtops and a color mismatch makes it non-value added. I agree you could get an “M” for that much, but also feel that it would have substantially more miles. Anyway, you’re not looking at an “M”.

$8000 would be a great deal and $10k would be a decent price for this car if there are no major high price issues.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 04-24-2019 at 12:19 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    My buddy paid $7k for a blue 3.0 with under 70,000 miles.
    Better condition than he one above. $12 is way out there hard top or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    You could get an S52 M for 12k, but for that price it probably wouldn't have the subframe reinforcement which it seems is an eventuality for all S52 cars.

Being a 2001 this car should have the extra stitch welds from the factory and is less likely to tear itself apart. In terms of performance the 3.0 is about the same as an S52.

You could hit him at $10k and then sell the HT for $2k.

My Cars
    2010 GTI
    Speaking of M Roadsters.... I just saw an online listing for a 2000 M with 64,000 miles being sold by a BMW shop. I traded a few messages and they say it's a two-owner car, the cooling system and VANOS are good, and the subframe welds are fine. It's in Imola Red and has the two-tone red/black interior -- looks spotless. The price is $13,500 plus $600 shipping.

I usually wouldn't even consider buying a car I can't see firsthand, but I'm seriously thinking about it. Crazy?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CouryT View Post
    Speaking of M Roadsters.... I just saw an online listing for a 2000 M with 64,000 miles being sold by a BMW shop. I traded a few messages and they say it's a two-owner car, the cooling system and VANOS are good, and the subframe welds are fine. It's in Imola Red and has the two-tone red/black interior -- looks spotless. The price is $13,500 plus $600 shipping.

I usually wouldn't even consider buying a car I can't see firsthand, but I'm seriously thinking about it. Crazy?
    Not crazy.

I bought mine sight unseen. It was in Hawaii, and the seller was a member here. My gamble paid off; car was better than described. I shipped it to Long Beach and drove it home to Denver. 52k miles and he had just installed a VF3 supercharger kit with S54 radiator/oil cooler at 47.5k. It also had the matching hardtop, high end audio including the Integral Audio sub, UUC SSK with DSSR, Strong Strut brace, Stewart pump, LeatherZ armrest, and probably a few others goodies that I'm forgetting. I didn't pay much more than the numbers thrown around here. I've since about dumped my purchase price into it (full suspension swap, wheels/tires, Supersprint Exhaust, Randy Forbes kit, cooling bits, carbon fiber, and much more).

Sitting at 58k today and couldn't be happier.

Original photo from his ad:

Z3M.r.jpg
    Last edited by s8ilver; 04-24-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by CouryT View Post

I would ask for detailed photos of the trunk spot welds and the diff mount. A lot of shops don't know what to look for in regards to the subframe/trunk floor/diff mount.

My Cars
    z3
    I think that car is overpriced. Think it was overpriced when it sold on BaT and more so now. M roady seems a better proposition, maybe get a ppi done before buying sight unseen

Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    You could get an S52 M for 12k, but for that price it probably wouldn't have the subframe reinforcement which it seems is an eventuality for all S52 cars.

Being a 2001 this car should have the extra stitch welds from the factory and is less likely to tear itself apart. In terms of performance the 3.0 is about the same as an S52.

You could hit him at $10k and then sell the HT for $2k.
    There is nothing different about the trunkfloor on later year cars that would make them less prone to failure