Thread: KEY FOB #1 works; KEY FOB #2 does not work

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI Convt

KEY FOB #1 works; KEY FOB #2 does not work

I have a 2002 330ci convertible. I bought a key off Amazon and programmed the FOB (and it locks and unlocks the doors) but it won't start the car. So, I bought a key from BMW ($230) and it will start the car, but the FOB will not work. The dealership says that the receiver in the mirror is bad. WTHeck? How come the $25 generic key fob works and the dealership won't. Doesn't seem logical that the receiver is the problem. New rearview mirror is $900 order from Germany only.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Did you add/program the dealer key? When I got my dealer key, I had the car with me and they added it for me.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI Convt
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    Did you add/program the dealer key? When I got my dealer key, I had the car with me and they added it for me.
    The BMW ($230) key fob has never been able to lock or unlock the doors. My dealership has to order them from California (after you prove ownership) and they supposably come ready to go. It does start the car. The dealership says that the receiver in the rear view mirror has a very weak signal. I don't understand how that can be the problem when the generic ($25) key fob works just fine. Walk up to the car, several feet away, push the button and the doors unlock. But, here's a catch, once you use the BMW key it voids the generic key and it will no longer work until it's reprogrammed. Otherwise, I'd just have two keys with me.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    You still need to code the dealer key with the car for the central locking to work.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOldright View Post
    The BMW ($230) key fob has never been able to lock or unlock the doors. My dealership has to order them from California (after you prove ownership) and they supposably come ready to go.
    They do come ready to go for starting the car but still need to be programmed for lock functions. Keep in mind - only 10 keys can be programmed. If your car has already had 10 keys programmed at any time, you will need to use an application like PA Soft to remove previously coded keys as I have been told before.

The dealership says that the receiver in the rear view mirror has a very weak signal. I don't understand how that can be the problem when the generic ($25) key fob works just fine.
    I think the dealer is blowing you off. Obviously, the receiver is working just fine.

Walk up to the car, several feet away, push the button and the doors unlock. But, here's a catch, once you use the BMW key it voids the generic key and it will no longer work until it's reprogrammed.
    That seems wonky. You really need to see how many previously coded keys are stored.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI Convt
    They do come ready to go for starting the car but still need to be programmed for lock functions. Keep in mind - only 10 keys can be programmed. If your car has already had 10 keys programmed at any time, you will need to use an application like PA Soft to remove previously coded keys as I have been told before.

I think the dealer is blowing you off. Obviously, the receiver is working just fine.

That seems wonky. You really need to see how many previously coded keys are stored.

So, if I ask the dealership to remove all previously coded keys, can we just start over and program the generic and BMW key? Or will removing previously coded keys, if it includes current keys, mess things up?

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    So, if I ask the dealership to remove all previously coded keys, can we just start over and program the generic and BMW key?
    That is precisely what I would do. I would go to the dealer with the two keys you have and request that all currently coded keys be removed and then have the two keys you have be added. Your goal here is to have just the two keys you possess be coded to your car.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI Convt
    That is precisely what I would do. I would go to the dealer with the two keys you have and request that all currently coded keys be removed and then have the two keys you have be added. Your goal here is to have just the two keys you possess be coded to your car.
    I appreciate everybody's responses. I had the car at the dealership to program their BMW key. That's when they discovered that the mirror receiver wasn't working properly. I picked up the car today. No working FOB and cannot open the fuel door. And of course, their fail-safe manual lever in the trunk does not work. Won't be driving much (half a tank left) until this is resolved, which hopefully will be soon.

I ordered a rear view mirror from a wrecking yard today. Specifically for a convertible. $175. Once I get the mirror still have to install it and have the key programmed. Wish me luck.