Thread: 2000 e39 528i overflow coolant tank Rod indicator broken off

My Cars
    2000 528i

2000 e39 528i overflow coolant tank Rod indicator broken off

Okay I guess this almost 20 year old car is starting to show it's age. Now the Radiator overflow Rod in the coolant tank broke off from it's float. I tired to fish it out but no luck, even with removing some of he coolant. So I don't think it can make it past the bend in the output hose to the pump? Am I correct? Also now that it's broken off is the a way to tell for now how high the fluid should be in the tank by looking down into it? I see the float it's up against the holder for the Rod / Float. Also I'am I correct by just looking at the system I should have to drain the whole system to replace the tank?

Thanks

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    You have a major issue. The float is the "canary in the coal mine." It's an early indicator that you need a cooling system overhaul. If any other components fail, and you lose coolant, you will toast the engine: the I6 is VERY sensitive to overheating.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Luckly I was able to fish the rod out.

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    You have a major issue. The float is the "canary in the coal mine." It's an early indicator that you need a cooling system overhaul. If any other components fail, and you lose coolant, you will toast the engine: the I6 is VERY sensitive to overheating.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjamie View Post
    Luckly I was able to fish the rod out.
    I don't think that's the issue edjack was referring to. The broken rod is a symptom, not the problem itself. The plastic cooling system has given you an unusual warning before fully self destructing.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Well, not necessarily.
    The red rod indicator may have broken because you were over-filling the expansion tank with coolant. That puts extra pressure on the whole cooling system when it heats, to the point of breaking the weakest part -the plastic rod.

So, I'd flush the coolant, refill -and do NOT overfill it- and bleed it out....and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Chedley; 04-23-2019 at 10:36 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    Well, not necessarily.
    The red rod indicator may have broken because you were over-flowing the expansion tank with coolant. That puts extra pressure on the whole cooling system when it heats, to the point of breaking the weakest part -the plastic rod.

So, I'd flush the coolant, refill -and do NOT overfill it- and bleed it out....and hope for the best.
    This is NOT true. edjack is correct.
    The RED rod broke b/c of age.
    The coolant tank will split open soon.

Search forums for "Cooling Overhaul" for parts recommendation (such as HEPU water pump, Wahler thermostat etc.).
    I wrote the DIY in this forum and bimmerfest.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Yikes! The sky is falling.
    Overfilling causes the indicator rod to break? A broken indicator rod is harbinger of death?
    To answer the OPs question: The rod more likely get poked down into the reservoir, usually it gets pushed too far down and that's all. In one piece it will just remain, somewhere , in the reservoir forever. If in pieces who knows.
    You can change the tank without draining the entire system, just have a catch pan ready as you will spill the contents of the reservoir and some from the hoses.
    Last edited by ross1; 04-24-2019 at 08:58 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue