Thread: Trouble getting new water pump onto X-over pipes, ok to smack w/ hammer and tighten?

My Cars
    2003 540it

Trouble getting new water pump onto X-over pipes, ok to smack w/ hammer and tighten?

The 2 cross over pipes actually came off really easy from the pump. But man they are extremely difficult to get slide back into the new water pump w/ new seals. It was basically impossible, I tried putting some grease on it, coolant to lube it up, they would not slide in even putting all my body weight into the pump.

I basically got the pipes lined up and partially slid into the pump holes, then I slowly tighten the pump across the bolts so that the pump would slowly move into the pipes a little bit more. Then I smacked the front of the pump with the side of a soft blow hammer, multiple times until the pump nudged itself into the pipes. From the opening of the pump where the coolant hoses go, I could see that the pipes are basically like, like 99% slid in, touching the inside of the pump where it should stop.

I'm just wondering if smacking the pump would have done any damage or if this was not a good method to ensure the cross over pipes are secured?

From what I could see, the water pump is pretty much all the way in, with parts of the paper gasket poking out where it should and the rest of the pump flush with the engine block.
    2019 X3 M40i Glacier Silver
    -stock

2003 540iT Titanium Silver
    -Dinan Exhaust

2003 325i 5-speed Japanrot
    -BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Really, a hammer?
    Hope you didn't tear any of the o-rings.
    I just clean the ends of the pipes, lube them and the o-rings. Then spin and push the pipes to get them into the back crossover between the heads.
    Then do the same with the tubes as I push the water pump into position.

My Cars
    2003 540it
    ah crud, I didn't realize the spinning action probably would have helped instead of just pushing. I did clean off the tips, brake cleaner on everything and sanded the old gunk off but still wouldn't seat in completely from just pushing.

i'll take the pump back off and re-inspect o-rings. Just really hate to because that bolt behind the crank was a pain to get off and on.