Thread: tailgate hatch and glass not getting power and now battery drainging

My Cars
    2006 325XI Wagon

tailgate hatch and glass not getting power and now battery drainging

So I am new to the Bimmer Forums but need to start somewhere!!!

My car would not start this morning….basically dead battery so I think whatever is going on with the tailgate / lack of power issue is leading to another problem, draining power.

It sounds like it should be a simple fix, nothing went wrong, just stopped working.

Last Wednesday I could not get my tailgate to open (assumed it was jammed with the rubber housing or something else got stuck when last closed), but then realized the glass hatch would not open either and then noticed the rear wiper was not working either (nor is the fluid spray cleaner). I checked what I could, thinking that it might be the fuse but am not sure I checked the one that it could be it because I did not really find one that said tailgate, rear wiper, etc, but did check al the ones that looked like it would be……I was able to climb in the back and get the hatch to open with the emergency pull cord that unlocks the latch and then manually pull/push it open. Once it closes / latches it will not open again. When I use the FOB or the button in the car to unlock / lock all you do hear and see all four doors lock/unlock but you do not hear any unlocking or mechanism in the trunk area. My first thought was a fuse because there is a lack of power, there is a little light on the hatch over your head when it’s open for convenience lighting, that does not come on…but the license plate lights, brake lights, reverse lights do work (which means there is power in the tailgate.

No warning lights on the dash. But when I start driving from a completed stop I immediately get the little open trunk icon, once I get going it goes off, when I come to a stop, and then slowly start again, it comes on and then goes back off so it’s either movement, but for some reason it thinks its open and it is definitely latched / closed.….

I have always noticed a little Amber light always on next to the stick shift that eventually goes off….I think it was still on this AM….I also have always noticed the car always making noises since I have had, sounds like vent chambers closing, and opening, and electronic noises, etc.. I now just learned that BMWs go to sleep after 16 minutes...…..after a little bit they stop…this AM that amber light was on, and after several hours of me doing stuff outside I would walk by the car and still hear it doing things….so it never went to sleep..this could / probably has something to do wit the above...

The kind of things going on I would think only a BMW guy / expert would know / have knowledge of……and my hope is someone here says, "happened to me, do this".

I’m trying to get you as much info as possible….what would be incredible is if this is a known thing, those are the best fixes, when it has happened to someone else and “here is what you do”…..

Please Help
    Fox

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would check the wiring harness going into the hatch the wires break over time from flexing