Thread: TPM reflash?

My Cars
    2014 435xi

TPM reflash?

Hi,

Last week I got a second set of wheels, and tpm sensors mounted on a set of aftermarket wheels. The new pressure sensors read fine.

Then the next day the tpm warnings started, and now the computer refuses to read the new wheel pressures. A few days later I put the original wheels back, and they also won’t read. So I took it back to the garage, and they used their scanner to reset the wheel sensors, and try and get the tpm system to reset. This didn’t work. So I went to BMW to see if they could reset the system and get it to read. They wanted to unmount the tires and check the sensors in the wheels that came with the car, estimating 1-3 hours of shop time for their effort. They weren’t able to explain why they couldn’t talk to the sensors through the rubber. Anyhow I refused, my feeling is I can purchase a scan tool and reload the software for a similar price and then going forward I have that tool.

So long story short, has anyone had issues with the tpm system, and how did they resolve them? Also what is a good scan tool I can get in the sub 500 usd price range?

Thanks,

TF

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would check for faults in the system had the old wheels turned off the light then I would have suspected the new sensors but so much for that. May be one of the antennas in the car went south

My Cars
    2014 435xi
    My gut feeling is having the car in the same garage with all 8 wheels confused the computer, and it just needs to have its history removed.

The new ones worked fine the day they were first mounted, and then that night my buddy dropped off the old wheels, and I stacked them in the garage next to the car. The next AM TPM was calling for a reset and then refusing to reset, claiming malfunction. Now that the original wheels are mounted, its doing the exact same thing.

Where is(are) the antenna(e) mounted on the pre 02/'14 435xi?

At very least this is a good excuse to get a coding tool. Is that something that will be able to load software mods to the car? I had a BT tool for my e90 and liked it but thought it was extremely limited. I'd like to be able to do more than that one could.

Thanks,

TF
    Last edited by technicalfoul; 04-22-2019 at 02:11 PM.