Thread: Convert a manual seat to electric powered

My Cars
    e34 525i

Convert a manual seat to electric powered

Hi everyone,

I have M seats but are mechanical. And I have aswell electric powered seats but are not the M style seats. Electric powered seats are cool but so are the M seats even though they are mechanical. Can I combine both of them so I have M style electric powered seats?

fcoa3p.jpg

That is what I got.

HAALP!

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    In theory you can...

But it would be a lot of hassle for a half-finished result. The easy part are the headrest motors, those are basically plug n play; the rest is doable, but the sport seats have thigh support which the regular seats don't, I don't know if the frames are the same, and you would definitely need different side trims.

If it were me, I'd just enjoy the manual seats as they are; or maybe you can find electric sports seats and make a trade. But if you really, really, really wanna get rid of the manual seats, I can tell you my address

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I don't think so. I took apart manual and electric comfort seats and found that much of the mechanisms are different.

Electric seats are a pointless gimmick IMO. They add weight and complexity without saving much effort (unlike electric windows, locks, and mirrors).

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    I don't think so. I took apart manual and electric comfort seats and found that much of the mechanisms are different.

Electric seats are a pointless gimmick IMO. They add weight and complexity without saving much effort (unlike electric windows, locks, and mirrors).
    No! Definitely NO! They don't add weight, in fact the take out 1,5 kg per seat! Awesome. I took both of them and weighted on a scale. I dont know exactly how much they weight because I picked them both and put myself over the scale. With the manual seat I was 1.5 kg over the electric seat. Awesome. Anyways, I ended up fitting the manual sports seats. They look cool. I need to replace the leaders. Will do soon.
    Car looks amazing. It is incredible how much it changes by adding some wheels and suspension. Actually I fitted some Konis with vogtlands and some cheap japanracing wheels JR6 17 9j fron 10j rear. Awesome. Diamond schwartz. Will post pics soon. It is a totally different car. It went from being a grandpa's car to a badass car. I am happy ok, I am just telling you.

Thank you guys!
    Last edited by 4dri4n; 04-22-2019 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    I totally agree, and I'd also have to second about the added weight; I changed my electric seats to manuals (regular ones, though), and the difference is quite noticeable. Maybe the sport seats are different?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    The exception to that statement is a power front passenger seat controlled from the rear, and even then...

Quote Originally Posted by 4dri4n View Post
    No! Definitely NO! They don't add weight, in fact the take out 1,5 kg per seat! Awesome. I took both of them and weighted on a scale. I dont know exactly how much they weight because I picked them both and put myself over the scale. With the manual seat I was 1.5 kg over the electric seat.
    You compared electric comforts to manual sports? Yes, the sport seats weigh more to begin with. From the Weights Catalog (not entirely consistent; see for details):
    Manual comfort: 14kg
    Electric comfort: 21kg
    Manual sport: 22kg
    Electric sport: 29kg

I've got manual heated black leather comfort seats in my hardtop Touring. Deleted the CCM, rear wiper and washer, preparing to delete the slushbox soon, the ECU (via a 1-wire diesel) not soon. I like a relative minimum of features in my cars.
    Last edited by moroza; 04-22-2019 at 11:05 PM.