Thread: Trash or treasure......all dash lit up

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Trash or treasure......all dash lit up

I'm Mark and new here. Normally I'm pretty good at building/fixing stuff, this is the project I'm supposed to be workings on:
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-308-v12-swap/
    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../148959/page1/

But I can't work on that because the dash on my DD (2011 E90 xdrive) looks like this and the local law enforcement explained to me that its not ok (with them) to ignore inspections just because the car won't pass:

This has happened over time....4x4 intermittent then just off setting off the ABS and DTC lights. I think check engine was next, then the airbag warning....but it drives fine so I didn't really care. I can drive around ticket town, but I"m going to have to do something before the not just the sticker month but year color is wrong making the issue obvious to all.

I thought some of this was straight forward....it has this error code:

and the sensor looked like this:

And google said the 4x4 actuator had plastic gears that fail, easy. Got the parts and torn into it yesterday....and fixed nothing. I replaced the sensor and cleaned a little rust off the axle but code didn't reset and I don't think the old sensor was bad, it seemed fine with the ohm meter. I pulled the transfer case motor and learned I dodn't has plastic gears, I have nice metal ones that looked just fine. I did change the rear brakes while I was there so I guess at least something went right.

This is the code that had me looking at the RR wheel sensor

The air bag light I think came on with this code:

Yesterday I found these but they have not returned:

and then there is this one that I think is the source of the check engine light

This car is an R title with 140k miles on it so its not worth a ton of money...but it run good and Im sure has a couple good years left if I can get it through inspection without spending more than the car is worth.

I'm thinking the next step is a better diagnostic tool....maybe this Bavarian Technic Tool?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/254139271105?...3D254139271105

but if I'm headed for thousands in parts....it might be time to cut my losses?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Or just take it to a good independent BMW shop. It. Could be a voltage issue for all we know. Quick and easy. It doesn't matter what the car is worth if you drive it regularly then it needs to be dependable.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    A low battery can cause the tri-fecta (Brake, ABS, DSC) lights to come on. And may be causing your lack of communication with the DSC module.

Airbag light could be the passenger seat occupancy sensor, and may have BMW's 15-year warranty extension on that (it's VIN-specific coverage).
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    It. Could be a voltage issue for all we know. Quick and easy.
    Nope, checked that.

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    It doesn't matter what the car is worth if you drive it regularly then it needs to be dependable.
    The point is if the repairs are more than the value its time not to drive it......

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    A low battery can cause the tri-fecta (Brake, ABS, DSC) lights to come on. And may be causing your lack of communication with the DSC module.
    Battery is maybe 6-7 month old, system read 13.8V with the engine running so a voltage issue seems unlikely unless caused by a corroded plug somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Airbag light could be the passenger seat occupancy sensor, and may have BMW's 15-year warranty extension on that (it's VIN-specific coverage).
    Do I need to call the dealer to get an answer to this? It came on with the P0503 code....maybe not related to the other speed sensor failure codes, I guess I need to find a wiring diagram somewhere or signal diagam maybe to see if the speed signal is coming through the the ABS/DSC module or is a separate problem.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    A call to the dealer with the VIN and they will be able to tell you if the car has the extended warranty on the occupancy sensor.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.